Blower motor/resistor issues

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Electrical Problems and Questions' started by Renrav, May 15, 2018.

1. Renrav

Renrav New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All,

I've got some A/C issues, and since it's pretty much summertime now in GA this is really important!

So it all started a few days ago when I turned on the A/C and it wasn't blowing. I toyed with the blower speed knob(manual A/C controls, by the way) and found that I could get the blower to work on high only it I held it past the highest setting. If I let it go it would stop, but as long as I held a little clockwise pressure on it it would stay on full, and the A/C worked perfectly.

The first thing I thought of was the blower resistor, so I pulled it out, an my multimeter and...I wasn't able to figure out anything conclusive without a diagram and specs to test for. I got a new resistor today and it didn't change anything, so I pulled out the control panel and found that that was the problem. Well, a problem at least. Here's what it looked like behind the fan speed knob:

Obviously it got a little scorched and melted, but I realized I could clean off the contact and bend it back to where it should be. That could make it work...maybe. Here's what it looked like after I did what I could:

Then I put it back together, plugged it back in, with the original blower resistor, and it actually works! Pretty much, at least. It catches a little bit on the highest setting, but I rarely use that anyway, and can avoid it until I get a good replacement put in.

So I can now get to work and back without sweating off 10 lbs., and I plan on replacing the control panel, but I still don't know why it melted in the first place so...a few questions:

1. I might just use the new one, but does anyone know the specs for the blower resistor so I can test and make sure that's not an issue if I leave the old one in?

2. While I was testing, for just a couple minutes with the old resistor plugged in, it wasn't screwed in where it's supposed to be, and it got really hot. Like I thought I cauterized the tip of my finger hot. I didn't really look, but I assume it gets airflow when it's installed correctly, right? Is it normal to get really, really hot when it's just hanging in the footwell?

3. Could a bad resistor have caused the melting to begin with? Is there something else I should check out, maybe the blower motor?

4. In all the testing it disassembling it seems pretty clear how the fan speed knob works: there's 5 wires, one is a permanent ground, and the knob connects it to each of the other 4 in turn to ground them. So if I need to avoid my "repaired" controls until I get a good replacement, it seems I can pick a speed and just use a jumper wire to ground that wire all the time. Would there be any issues doing that for a few days?

Phew that was a lot to type out, and I didn't even mean to write a whole essay. I figure giving all the information at once is better than playing 20 questions later though, if anyone bothers to read all this. Thanks to anyone who does!

2. namretsud

namretsud Active Member

Media:
    Since you already bought the new resistor, I would install it with the new control. And yes, make sure the resistor is bolted in before running as the fan does cool it to a degree.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Agree with namrestud and would also replace that control panel asap. You don't want a total meltdown:(