Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2014 SE with a running motor but the body isn’t in good condition and wouldn’t be able to be road legal. But I just found another 2014 SE with a blown motor and the body is in great condition. Anyways the guy said he brought it to his mechanic and the mechanic said “if you replace the motor the vin has to match”. He also said if the bins don’t match the car won’t work. I was wondering if a specific part of the vin has to match to work? Or if anyone has had to replace their motor if they ran into the same issue.

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
That is a FABLE and only valid for collectors of "matching numbers" cars. Many of my past MOPARS have come to me with used replacement motors with NO PROBLEMS to match up and run correctly. WHAT you need to be SURE when swapping motors is that the TYPE (california emission,FED emision, flex fuel, PZEV) of the motors are the same. You are one step ahead that the years already match.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So would the vin say that about the car? Like if I look at both vins would it tell me if one is a different type then the other? I just don’t wanna buy this car if it won’t run after all this work

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
So would the vin say that about the car? Like if I look at both vins would it tell me if one is a different type then the other? I just don’t wanna buy this car if it won’t run after all this work
Look for the engine spec tag somewhere on the hood underside or radiator /grill support. That should give you enough info to make your decision once you match it up to what you have on your "dying body" car. YES there is a way "online" to run the VIN number, but sometimes can cost or are questionable. I don't have the VIN breakdown records to answer that for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently swapped motors from one car to another the VIN didnt matter so much, I wound up needing a new PCM tho.
Basically, some of the electrical components do need to "marry" the car, but even then VIN may not be crucial.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay I’m going through with purchasing the shell/donor car. And I have a complete car as it is including the pcm and all electronics. Thank you all for the help and I’ll post some updates as I start the swap!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts