Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Word of warning... If you have a turbo diesel engine, do not, under any circumstances, let it run low on oil. Mine now makes a horrible bearing-grinding noise and won't go over 40mph. Needless to say, it's off to the garage for the Beast. :doh:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Oh no. Hopefully you did not cause any permanent damage.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garage suspects the car has been losing/burning oil for some time, possibly due to a slight imbalance in the turbo impellers since new, causing accelerated wear in the bearings. Anyhoo, upshot is the Beast needs a new turbo. :(

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So! Turns out the impeller was indeed out of balance and had worn the central shaft and bearings so badly that there was clearly visible play in the impeller shaft assembly. Quite lucky in fact that it didn't implode and destroy the whole engine with shrapnel! Total bill, including a re-conditioned turbocharger, a change of oil and a few service parts... £1200 (about $1850). Ouch!

Anyhoo, the Beast is now back on the road and all is well again. :smileup:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi John
Glad you got it sorted , not a cheap repair when your turbo goes. What was the mileage on your car when it blew ?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just over 25000 miles! Yup, you read that right! (I don't do high mileage since I was made redundant) Ever since I've owned the car it has made a noise like a police siren (very quietly, you have to listen for it) when you accelerate. This noise has been getting more noticeable of late but when I mentioned it to the main dealer I got the old "Oh, they all do that...".
The garage I took it to this time told me that noise is the first sign of something up with turbocharger. Fecking main dealer!

Just hoping others can learn from my mistakes, a £1200 bill is not nice, trust me.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that John. We should all learn from that and get a second opinion if something doesn't sound or feel right.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi John
Wow that is very low mileage for a turbo to blow. I'm pretty sure I read on here that another diesel owner ( bertiebentnose I believe ) got to about 180,000 before his turbo blew. I know Dodge dealers are rare now but isn't there any way you could go to a Jeep/ Chrysler dealer and see if you can get some sort of goodwil payment towards the repair. After all a turbo should last more than 25,000 miles shouldn't it ?
And I can assure you they don't all do that either. :poopstorm:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi John
Wow that is very low mileage for a turbo to blow. I'm pretty sure I read on here that another diesel owner ( bertiebentnose I believe ) got to about 180,000 before his turbo blew. I know Dodge dealers are rare now but isn't there any way you could go to a Jeep/ Chrysler dealer and see if you can get some sort of goodwil payment towards the repair. After all a turbo should last more than 25,000 miles shouldn't it ?
And I can assure you they don't all do that either. :poopstorm:
Don't get me started, I can't even get the muddyfunsters to pay to fix the corrosion on my bonnet, so I don't hold out much hope for any recompense for the turbo... :shakehead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts