Brake light keeps coming on | Dodge Avenger Forum

Brake light keeps coming on

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Electrical Problems and Questions' started by KyleNad, Oct 25, 2012.

1. KyleNad

KyleNad New Member

Media:
    My car only has about 22k miles on it and the brake light will randomly come on and then turn off again after a few minutes. I have a feeling that it might just be a bad connection, but i'm not sure. I just don't want my E-brake to be engaging and waring it out. Im not electrically inclined so i haven't gone in to look at the problem more closely. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening? Or has anyone had the same problem, and if so what did you do?

2. mlobitz

mlobitz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Could be a number of things... Is it the ABS light or the Brake light? I would start by checking the fluid level, if it gets too low it will throw the light on and depending on how you drive it is possible that your brakes are worn enough to lower the fluid level (though not likely). Start simple and work your way to more complicated issues. More info would help to diagnose the issue...

3. SuperDart

SuperDart Member Military

I will note that shortly after buying my car the brake light would go on and off depending on A) if my car was facing downhill or B) if I was taking a moderate speed sweeping right turn.

Turns out, the fluid level sensor was on the right side of the reservoir, so in a sweeping right turn (like a ramp on highway cloverleaf) the fluid would be forced to the left, and the sensor would trigger a light.

Check your fluid, top off if necessary. I did, no more light since.

4. KyleNad

KyleNad New Member

Media:
    Thanks for the help guys. The fluid level must have just been low enough to trip the sensor. I had similar issues with mine SuperDart. Topped it off and the light hasn't come on since! :smileup:

5. bad venge

bad venge Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    As brake pads wear the calipers store more fluid causing the lower levels you might be masking a worn set of pads

6. KyleNad

KyleNad New Member

Media:
    It's due for an oil change, so i'm probably going to have the brakes done then. Im starting to hear the brakes squeak so i think its time to change them.

7. evanbaker08

evanbaker08 Member

Media:
    Mine did this to it scared me at first because I went ebrake drifting a few time before it happened turned out I just had to top off the fluid.

8. Derson59

Derson59 Member Military

Media:
    Most likely the fluid is low. After the brake change it should be back to normal again. You should get your brakes done however just added more fluid might mask a bigger problem later on.

9. gregzbobo

gregzbobo Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    If you do the brakes yourself, you might consider getting a cheap turkey baster and removing some fluid from the master cylinder before you compress the caliper pistons so you don't risk brake fluid overflowing and ruining nearby painted surfaces. Once all the new pads are in place, add NEW DOT3 fluid to the full mark and you should be all set. Once the pads are bedded in check the fluid level and adjust accordingly.

10. KyleNad

KyleNad New Member

Media:
    If i do get the brakes done wouldn't the fluid level be fine afterwards? i might be wrong, thats just what makes sense in my head.

11. gregzbobo

gregzbobo Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    As long as the fluid isn't now too close to the max level, when the caliper pistons get compressed to make room for new pads the fluid is displaced to the master cylinder reservoir and if there's too much it'll overflow and spilled brake fluid has a habit of eating paint. Just check and top it off to max with new DOT3 brake fluid after the new pads are installed and bedded in slightly and you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

12. KyleNad

KyleNad New Member

Media:
    Ill be sure to do that. Thanks for the help! :smiley_thumbs_up:

13. Zeevert

Zeevert Member

My Avenger is also having a periodic brake light come on. 2011 w/ 17,000 miles.
    It probably is the fluid level.
    On many cars, the light can also come on when the e-brake is on.... sometimes just a little. Usually, this is more of an issue with cars that have a foot e-brake.

14. Derson59

Derson59 Member Military

Media:
    Yes you are correct in saying that :smileup:. If you take it in to a mechanic they will fill and top off properly the fluid to the level that you need. Assuming that the mechanic is smart enough to check after completing the job...

15. Zeevert

Zeevert Member

Topping off the brake fluid took care of my light. It didn't look very low. I added very little.

16. K Hayes

K Hayes New Member

Brake Light Comes On and Off.

I had the same problem. Opened the hood, checked all my fluids and noticed the brake fluid was a bit off. Referred to the manual to see what brand they recommend (Dot 3) filled it to the marked line, and I was good to go.

17. Zeevert

Zeevert Member

I've added brake fluid three times.
    That's a little too much to be explained by brake pad wear.
    It's been years since I seen this, but it almost needs to be a leaky master cylinder.
    Has anyone else had a bad master cylinder?

18. bad venge

bad venge Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    As pads wear the caliper pistons need to extend further and further to provide the same clamping force, times all four calipers it can use a large amount of fluid.

Any leaking should be obvious and should cause a spongy brake feel. remove each wheel and inspect each caliper (and check your pads)

19. Zeevert

Zeevert Member

Update:
    I visually inspected the brake fluid system, front to rear on the hoist. No leaks.
    I replaced the master cylinder around May 1st. I ran through a ton of brake fluid bleeding it out. It's been a couple months and the fluid is full.

I ordered the master cylinder thru Ebay:
    Cardone Industries Brake Master Cylinder 10-4347 for $54.55 delivered from carpartkings.
    Swapping out the master cylinder was very easy. Same with the reservoir.

20. Zeevert

Zeevert Member

It's been a year. Added brake fluid once. That is a bit more acceptable.