Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,'
A few months ago, I wrote about a hesitation and bucking the 2.4 was doing, and youall told me that the throttle body needed cleaning. I did that, put it back on, and the car ran beautifully.......for a couple months. In the last couple weeks, it's taking spells of running right for a day or so; and then it starts....... If I take off from a stop sign normally, it's OK. But if I step on it much, it shifts out of low gear quickly and then kinda bogs down for a couple seconds; and then starts to accelerate again. Today. on a ride out through the country, I had the cruise control on, at about 60. Fine on the level, but when we came to a rise, it would start to dog down, then started the bucking again, or maybe like it was shifting back and forth from 3rd to OD rather quickly. Almost like turning the key off and on quickly. Under light throttle, it's OK; but any kind of load, and it starts acting up again. Thanks in advance, for any help offered. Incidentally,, it's got about 65,000 miles on it, and I put new plugs in it, when I did the throttle body cleaning.

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
Does the check engine light come on or is it on when driving it(or the red TB warning light also)? IF so then codes from the computer need to be retrieved to find out what's going on without doing needless parts changes and wasting time and money. Also if the car is parked for long durations without being run, you may want to try dosing the fuel system with a product like Seafoam to clean the fuel system and fuel injectors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the check engine light come on or is it on when driving it(or the red TB warning light also)? IF so then codes from the computer need to be retrieved to find out what's going on without doing needless parts changes and wasting time and money. Also if the car is parked for long durations without being run, you may want to try dosing the fuel system with a product like Seafoam to clean the fuel system and fuel injectors.
The TB warning light will flash, when the stumbling starts; but is doesn't stay on....just for a few seconds. I don't use the car every day; but it doesn't sit for more than 2 or 3 days at a time. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
OK, this sheds a bit more light on things, thank you.
A fairly common fault that ties into the symptoms you describe is a "wonky"(failing) PCV valve. Cheap and easy enough to change, also check for tight connection of the hose from PCV to intake manifold near the TB. Beyond that, it may be time for a replacement throttle body assembly, a long history of them going bad on the 2.4 motors and why trying a cleaning was suggested to you in previous posting you made before..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, this sheds a bit more light on things, thank you.
A fairly common fault that ties into the symptoms you describe is a "wonky"(failing) PCV valve. Cheap and easy enough to change, also check for tight connection of the hose from PCV to intake manifold near the TB. Beyond that, it may be time for a replacement throttle body assembly, a long history of them going bad on the 2.4 motors and why trying a cleaning was suggested to you in previous posting you made before..
Thank you for the great input. As I think I said earlier, this is an intermittent problem, and today, it's running fine. In fact, at the advice of a local mechanic, I took the car down to Autozone and had it run on their analyzer. No codes showed up. I'm going to go ahead with the PCV valve and check that hose. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the great input. As I think I said earlier, this is an intermittent problem, and today, it's running fine. In fact, at the advice of a local mechanic, I took the car down to Autozone and had it run on their analyzer. No codes showed up. I'm going to go ahead with the PCV valve and check that hose. Thanks again!!!
I guess I spoke too soon! Took it to go to the store today, and when I stepped down on the gas after turning onto the main street, nothing! It had no throttle response, the traction control light came on, and the electronic throttle control started flashing red. I tried to stop and restart; but nothing. When in neutral or park, it idles at about 1700 rpms, and a/c quit cooling and it won't go over about 30 mph, no matter how much I push down on the gas pedal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts