Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, So I've been noticing recently that when I start my car and I put it in reverse, it jerks like 3-4 times and then it runs smoothly. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm thinking it could be a worn motor mount I'm not entirely sure or its something else entirely. If anyone could help out, I'd really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
A common weakness on many FWD FCA and older MOPAR vehicles is the front motor mount going bad. Easy way to tell for sure is have a helper sit in the drivers seat and place it into drive and with foot holding the brake, raise the rpm's while you watch from the OPEN hood for excessive motor lift upward . Then do the same in reverse and watch for excessive downward movement. More than 2 inches of motion , and I would say that front and rear mounts to be bad(they take the majority of engine torque force).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh thank you for the reply 5rebel9!! I will definitely try that to see if that's the culprit. Would there be any other reasons for that jerking motion? I just want to have a broad sense on what I can get fixed. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
I was replying to your question of motor mounts and a way to easily check it. There could be a number of things that can cause a jerking on initial movement, BUT with info(or lack of specific car history and any recent maint given)...hard to give a starting point of where to start checking. How many miles on it, what have you done beyond the coolant leak fix? Any warning lights(CEL,lightning bolt,ABS/traction control)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.