Dodge Avenger Forum banner

Car just loses power...

12K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  namretsud 
#1 ·
The other day I was out driving and the car just lost power. All the lights and everything are still on but when I accelerate, nothing happens. It just coasted to a stop. I let it sit for a while and turned it on and it turned right up. All the lights and everything work but it's just when driving the car doesn't respond to the gas after a minute or so. Once when I started it, it clicked but wouldn't go but then after I tried it a while later, it would start right up. It's not the alternator or starter. What else could it be?

#2 ·
well, we had a problem last month, the wiper motor shorted out something and it was repaired under warranty and even towed at no cost to us. hubby was driving at night in the rain and the whole car just started going wonkie, he pulled over and it would not restart

sorry for your troubles, but I would take it in asap

#4 ·
When you say the car just lost power are you saying the engine quit or it was still running but would not accelerate? If the car died after driving for a little while, but after letting it cool down it started back up. It sounds like the crank sensor may be going bad. Is your check engine light on? You might want to check your codes, this will help narrow down the problem. I have been having a lot of problems with my daughters car and recently have gained some experience on the Avenger.
Hope this helps some.

#6 ·
Was this issue ever resolved? I have a 2011 Avenger that just did the same thing to me tonight. I was accelerating and just lost power. Engine did not die, but engine light came on. I pulled over and shut the car off for a moment, then it started right back up. Engine light is still on, but I managed to drive it a couple of miles to get it home. Any help on this topic would be appreciated. I am going to get the code read first thing in the morning. But I'm hoping for more info.

#7 ·
This thread was posted 11 years ago, you probably won't hear back. Getting the code read will hopefully help to pinpoint the problem.

#8 ·
How old is your battery and how clean are the cable connections from the battery to the jumping posts? If you can not answer these questions right away, that is where I would start. These vehicles today are very sensitive to power and it doesn't take much to upset them. I would also have the battery load tested for health. Battery cable connections need to be cleaned to bare metal and have dielectric grease applied as they are re-connected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.