Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Troubles in Bowling Green
Hello eveyone,
I am having a bit of troble with my 96 Avenger(2.7).
It would hardly run at one point so, I changed the plugs and wires. After that the engine would run but it was still very rough. I got it out on the open road. It struggled for a few mile and then clered up. Got it up to 80 mph. ran smooth for the rest of the day.
Next morning it did the same thing, strugging to run until I got about 3 mile down the road then cleared up. This has been the routine all week. It been idling at 600 rpm. It reminds me of the old choke system. hard to run when cold and does better have it warms up. Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Desperate,
[email protected]

·
Registered
68 Posts
sounds like it could be fuel related but are you sure it is a 2.7. 96 Avenger never came with larger than a 2.5 in those years ealier was a 3.0 but never had 2.7 till now in Avenger

·
Registered
68 Posts
those should make your check engine light come on and you said sounds like it was starving, classic sympton of a fuel issue. might want to check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Engine light is on. and no I don't have any code. The engine is not starving for gas, the plug have to much gas.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I don't have away to check the code
I'm not exactly sure on that car, but on many Dodges you turn the key to ACC, ON, ACC, ON, ACC, ON. You have to do that within about 3 or 4 seconds.
The code(s) will show in the odometer.

Or you could stop by an AutoZone store. They can tell you what - if any - code there is. And they do it for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I tried it. It didn't work, the engine light just started blinking instead of staying solid. I will try autozone tomorrow or Monday.
Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks, I tried it. It didn't work, the engine light just started blinking instead of staying solid. I will try autozone tomorrow or Monday.
Thanks again for your input.
Interesting...good luck with it! I thought engine light blinking meant a misfire condition...but I could be wrong on this car. It probably is related to the codes...sometimes you are meant to count the number of blinks which is the code. But autozone sounds like the best to try to get it diagnosed for the time being.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Actually you should be able to decipher the code by how many times it blinks. I am not exactly sure the coding for that, but it did display the code, you just don't know how to read it. You may want to get yourself a repair manual for it. That would tell you how to decipher the code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 99 venge was doing the same thing, turned out to be the oxygen sensors which was an easy fix...I went to autozone first though and plugged in the diagnostic thingy (forget what it's called) and had them print out a sheet with the codes it was running and just looked it up online. good luck with that!

·
Registered
565 Posts
the key on sequence will cause the check engine (MIL) light to flash. the number of flashes is the code.

I had the same thing on my old 95 dakota.

a long pause between flashes indicates a new code. for example.

flash pause flash pause flash pause flash pause flash (5 flashes)

longer pause

flash pause flash pause flash pause flash pause flash (5 flashes)

this would be a code 55 which is "end of codes" so there are more more codes stored.

- Dan M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts