Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I’d try on here since no one can really guess my problem.
So ever since I’ve had this car, there’s been times where the car would do what seems to be like a 1/4 crank. But recently, being the last 3 days it’s been getting worse such as this morning…. It took 14 tries before the car took off. I have a brand new fuse box, alternator, battery and all connections to all of those besides the fuse box are brand new and I’ve had all my connections checked/fixed in February of this year. So my main question is, is it a starter issue? It’s not making a single click sound, or any other alarming sound, like I said it’s a partial crank. I turn the key, it does a partial crank (almost like the flywheel is turned a bit but not enough to start it) but the starter doesn’t keep trying which is good cuz I don’t want it to burn out or something. Yesterday I tried about 5 times before it started, then today like I said about 14-15 tries. After I get the car started, it has absolutely no problems whatsoever. It’s almost as if it’s when the car sits for a certain period of time it has the little malfunctions. Connections to the starter are a little rusty but nothing super alarming. I have no idea if it’s a bad starter or maybe something wrong with the engine?? I purchased a new starter but it was $200 and I don’t want to have to put it on if that’s not the issue. Are there any fuses I should maybe check? I have no engine lights etc and the car runs flawlessly when started.

Hopefully I explained this well enough for someone to figure it out what it is 😅

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There's one area that people don't look at in a starter that can cause issues and is cheaper than a whole starter. The starter solenoid is built in to the starter and contains 2 contact pads and one disc that contacts the pads when the starter is engaged. There are lots of videos about the rebuild and the repair kit is around $25-$30. these contact pads get pitted and can work intermittantly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thought I’d try on here since no one can really guess my problem.
So ever since I’ve had this car, there’s been times where the car would do what seems to be like a 1/4 crank. But recently, being the last 3 days it’s been getting worse such as this morning…. It took 14 tries before the car took off. I have a brand new fuse box, alternator, battery and all connections to all of those besides the fuse box are brand new and I’ve had all my connections checked/fixed in February of this year. So my main question is, is it a starter issue? It’s not making a single click sound, or any other alarming sound, like I said it’s a partial crank. I turn the key, it does a partial crank (almost like the flywheel is turned a bit but not enough to start it) but the starter doesn’t keep trying which is good cuz I don’t want it to burn out or something. Yesterday I tried about 5 times before it started, then today like I said about 14-15 tries. After I get the car started, it has absolutely no problems whatsoever. It’s almost as if it’s when the car sits for a certain period of time it has the little malfunctions. Connections to the starter are a little rusty but nothing super alarming. I have no idea if it’s a bad starter or maybe something wrong with the engine?? I purchased a new starter but it was $200 and I don’t want to have to put it on if that’s not the issue. Are there any fuses I should maybe check? I have no engine lights etc and the car runs flawlessly when started.

Hopefully I explained this well enough for someone to figure it out what it is 😅
I had this. It was the ICM. This problem will only get worse (in the end my car wouldn’t turn over at all). It doesn’t cost the earth to replace. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger R/T
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this. It was the ICM. This problem will only get worse (in the end my car wouldn’t turn over at all). It doesn’t cost the earth to replace. Hope this helps.
Where is the ICM located? And how do I remove/replace it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It’s best to take it to Dodge or get an auto electrician to do it. It’s the ignition management system, like an ECM its gunna have to be programmed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts