Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Effinlunatic, appears we are the only canucks around this frozen patch that belong to the forums :)
hey welcome, welcome thrice welcome. yes indeed, frozen fer sher, been hangin around -22C last couple days. throw in a prairie wind and, well, i'm getting too old for this sh!t, lol. i'm about three & a bit hours east of you btw, in stoontown. come to think of it, it used to be four & a bit up until a couple months ago.:4-dontknow:

incidentally, i'm sure you've noticed this, but for everyone else the stock keyfob autostart remote isn't very sensitive at all when its cold & there's no feedback. have to be within visual for it, but in the end its a very very small negative for the ride. aftermarket is the way to go, i think, for a remote start in cold weather though.

ciao all

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
hey welcome, welcome thrice welcome. yes indeed, frozen fer sher, been hangin around -22C last couple days. throw in a prairie wind and, well, i'm getting too old for this sh!t, lol. i'm about three & a bit hours east of you btw, in stoontown. come to think of it, it used to be four & a bit up until a couple months ago.:4-dontknow:

incidentally, i'm sure you've noticed this, but for everyone else the stock keyfob autostart remote isn't very sensitive at all when its cold & there's no feedback. have to be within visual for it, but in the end its a very very small negative for the ride. aftermarket is the way to go, i think, for a remote start in cold weather though.

ciao all
hmmn...I haven't tryed in sub zero weather yet, but I get excellent distance from my stock keyfob. Actually probably the best distance I've got from any remote, stock or aftermarket. I wonder if theres more than one supplier on it. Pretty sure mine is made by omron though. Does yours press fit together or does it have a screw in it? That might lead to figuring out who makes it.

Oh and not sure why you have no feedback. Mine beeps the horn twice and the parking lights come on after its started.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It has to do with the change of winds over the pacific ocean and when they come over the mountains theres a change in temperature. We are suppose to get one by Monday or Tuesday. It's about -17C here now and by Monday or Tuesday it will be about +10C.

In the middle of winter when it has been -30, it's a nice break when it warms up to +10C or so.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh my, talk about layers and layers of clothes... How cold is it there during the peak of you'll winter months?
lol, effincold....water flows slower, -45C is common to anywhere in north/central canada (Que to AB) and with a wind its worse, -55 to -60 in feb sometimes with the windchill....ski when its that cold & u get an ice-cream headache, lol...there's dry & moist cold too, dry here in the prairies but moist in northen On for example, sucks the moisture out of the rocks, thin film of ice on every rock u see, snow crunches when u walk on it, its actually a cool experience, lol, no pun intended....whiteouts are common but i lived through my first prairie winter storm last winter & there was blackouts, it was wild....

·
Registered
62 Posts
canadian winters

Ahh I love Canadian winters, we have already hit -30 calcius and it is promissing to get worse, on the bright side as long as it stays like this then my car doesn't get that dirty. I han't even looked to see if my car has a block heater.. I should check into that.. kinda important :)

I havn't had too many problems with my car starter yet, but i have heated underground parking at home and my car is about 20 feet from my window where I work so my signal doesn't have far to go.

I miss the chinooks in calgary, lived there for a few years and sometimes you could be out mid winter in shorts and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh my, talk about layers and layers of clothes... How cold is it there during the peak of you'll winter months?
usually around -30/-40... it also depends on the wind factor... back in Jan & Feb i remember Montreal hitting around -42 with the wind chill... that's nothing... we got hit with over 15cm of snow on monday and another 10cm on Tuesday... our city is suppose clean up the mess by tomorrow...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmn...I haven't tryed in sub zero weather yet, but I get excellent distance from my stock keyfob. Actually probably the best distance I've got from any remote, stock or aftermarket. I wonder if theres more than one supplier on it. Pretty sure mine is made by omron though. Does yours press fit together or does it have a screw in it? That might lead to figuring out who makes it.

Oh and not sure why you have no feedback. Mine beeps the horn twice and the parking lights come on after its started.
it won't go through a wall or a frosted window, and it has to be within visual & relatively close (100 ft or so) to engage when cold. actually it refused to start once btw already around -28C, and tire alarms go off always coz of the cold. and it's pressed together, with a slot to crack it. and by feedback i meant something that shows up on the fob, a little display or light or something like the aftermarket one's have.

but, the only remote start i've ever had is putting on the boots & doin it kinda manual, so if it works its all good

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
it won't go through a wall or a frosted window, and it has to be within visual & relatively close (100 ft or so) to engage when cold. actually it refused to start once btw already around -28C, and tire alarms go off always coz of the cold. and it's pressed together, with a slot to crack it. and by feedback i meant something that shows up on the fob, a little display or light or something like the aftermarket one's have.

but, the only remote start i've ever had is putting on the boots & doin it kinda manual, so if it works its all good

Ahh ok. Sounds like an omron built part (which is what I have). Mine works pretty far, and I can go through walls into the back lot at work and through the glass in the front lot. At my house, I can do it through the closed doors/walls into the garage from pretty much anywhere. Never had an alarm issue either. Then again it doesn't hit -28C here so not a true comparison.

They should test them down to -40C which is pretty standard for testing. However they don't do "distance" testing but rather measure power output and I assume that if the power is the same or similar as other "warmer" temps they assume the distance to be similar as well. Thats not always the case however.

One trick you could try is holding the transmitter at your waist facing the car, or at various angles to the car at your waist. This is also pretty standard for testing, so its likely to be tuned in at such a spot. The other thing is to hold it up to your chin, which kinda uses your head as an antenna (old trick for better range).

As for feedback...well...anything that adds more cost they take out unless specifically requested. So I'm not suprised theres no led or anything on the transmitter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One trick you could try is holding the transmitter at your waist facing the car, or at various angles to the car at your waist. This is also pretty standard for testing, so its likely to be tuned in at such a spot. The other thing is to hold it up to your chin, which kinda uses your head as an antenna (old trick for better range).
:confused: personally I like the behind-the-back, standing on one leg technique, and if I use a tinfoil hat it seems to increase that much further. People point & laugh in grocery stores & such, but I don't care, lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.