Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Unfinished Project Man
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So there really is a limited market when it comes to after market exterior pieces for our Avengers.

We have a 200s lip spoiler, Challenger hood, and roof spoilers.
image.jpeg Bignibbs image.jpeg Tyrone23 image.jpeg PhantomAvenger
And of course tints, wheels and graphics. But other than those, there is not much to change the 'body' of our cars.

There are some guys who changed out their spoilers for ones found on Mitsubishi Evos. Like NutzSquirrel and Zeo Fallen.
image.jpeg Zeo fallen image.jpeg NutzSquirrel
The only other way to set yourself apart from the others is to fabricate it yourself like Maxavenger and his rear air diffuser.
image.jpeg MaxAvenger

I'm guessing you have already read the title of this thread, and are wondering where I'm going with it. So I will stop delaying and say it.

I am officially announcing the creation of my Challenger Spoiler thread! Within this thread I will document, as best I can, the processes and steps taken to build this new spoiler. From the beginning to the end. It will happen in 3-4 parts,
- Creation of a foam spoiler plug
- Making a fiberglass mould of the plug
- Fiberglassing a final product
- Installation
And anything else that may/will pop up

More to come soon! I am just working on the write-up for the first steps in part 1.

(I hope you guys don't mind me using pictures of your cars)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Use my pics anytime Armydude! I appreciate you taking time to show it off for me ;) lol.

Also I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread. Can't wait to see the build and see the finished product. Definitely following!

·
Unfinished Project Man
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at the point of mapping out the bottom front and rear curves to match the avengers trunk curve. I'm not going to post pictures yet until I have more work done with the plug. Until then thanks guys for following!

·
Unfinished Project Man
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem man. Just showing some of the dramatically changed exterior mods people do the their cars

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the H&R sport springs installed on my Avenger with the stock wheels and rims. What size wheels are those on bignibbs car? They look good and wondering how big I could go to eliminate any wheel gap without having to add any extra modifications.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have the H&R sport springs installed on my Avenger with the stock wheels and rims. What size wheels are those on bignibbs car? They look good and wondering how big I could go to eliminate any wheel gap without having to add any extra modifications.
They are stock wheels as well.

·
Unfinished Project Man
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
PART 1

To start off I will explain the purpose of creating a foam plug. The point of a plug is to create a fiberglass mold. The plug will be exactly what I want as "final" product. Once I have a mold I can then create fiberglass duplicates.

I was initially going to cut and section the Challenger spoiler to fit the curves of the Avenger. But under careful review I found that cutting up the plastic Challenger spoiler was not going to work out. Too much modification. That is why I decided to use insulating foam board. It is easily shapeable and relatively cheap. Now, I could have bought full length sheets of this which probably would have been cheaper, but fitting an 8x4 sheet of this in the trunk was not going to work.

image.png

I marked and measured each board in six inch sections, this will allow adequate clearance on both sides of the spoiler for shaping later on. The whole point of this project is to shape a spoiler to fit the rear of my car. We all know the rear of the Avenger is not a straight line so just stacking the boards one on top of the other will leave too much foam to remove, and I wanted to be cost effective. So I took each 6"x2' sheet and by careful cutting of angles created a boxy structure following the curve of the spoiler.

image.png

Before I started taping the pieces down I laid a line of tape with an approximate area where the spoiler will land. I taped each piece I cut being careful to cover the area with the foam. I cut and sanded each piece flat so they would mate up and give a nice surface to glue.

image.png

I cut each piece using a fine tooth hobby saw. It left a nice cut just a little refining with a hard block and 60 grit sandpaper cleaned the edges up nice.

image.png

I also marked each piece so I could match them up later.

image.png

I worked from both sides at the same time so I could "mirror" the pieces so they would sort of match.

image.png

This I the whole bottom row complete. I labeled the pieces by where they sit on the car.

image.png

No point in taking pictures of doing all the rows but here is all the pieces cut and where they will sit. I will note however that I chose to cut the pieces like how you would lay bricks in a wall, staggering the pieces so the joints do line up. Now with it done, I can start spray gluing them together.

image.jpeg

Also if you ever want to do something using pink panther foam. Make sure you get a board that is not warped. At least two boards I bought were warped. It was only on the end, so careful planning on where to cut the 6"x2' board was necessary.

I have more written up to post, But I want to space out the uploads. I'll post more in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
The SUSPENSE is just too much to stand! I need more! Alright already I'm HOOKED, don't torment me any longer! JOHNNY 5 NEEDS MORE INPUT(Short Circuit..Movie)!!!
Do you do your College classwork this well?
Looking forward to the next installment!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Can I press the fast forward button to see the end result?

Reactions: 5rebel9

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm going to say no, Tyrone. Because when you fast forward a movie you always miss the good parts. And the ending will not make sense. Just hang in there

View attachment 11649
Touche sir touché. I just cant stop thinking about it since Ive always wanted this for my own haha.

·
Unfinished Project Man
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is not an update on the spoiler. Today I decided to take a break from the spoiler and remove the plastidip from my wheels. 4 hrs in and I'm only on the second wheel. Taking the front face of plastidip off was easy. It's the nooks and granny's and over spray in the barrel that are giving me the most trouble. Here's a before and after shot of the barrel of the wheel.
image.jpeg

It still is not perfect, but I can honestly say I never saw the inside the wheel this clean before. Even when I at the dealership it wasnt like this

1 - 20 of 37 Posts