Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I change the oil and filter in my vehicles. I can buy the oil on sale and a complete oil and filter change with synthetic oil and a premium quality filter will cost less then $30.00. If a commercial place did it; I could expect to pay more then $50.00 and would not know if they did it correct. Do you change your own oil?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've changed my oil in my previously owned vehicles but I brought the maintenance package with this vehicle. A guy at my job recommended it. I don't pay for labor, I pay for parts and get a discount on the parts. I get a free clear coat each year, free premium floor mats... I'm going to get the slush mats for winter and rainy seasons...

I’m not expecting my oil and filter changes to even cost me as much as $30 a month to change at the dealer but I could be wrong. Anybody else brought the maintenance package and paid more than $30 for oil and filters change?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to change my oil all the time but anymore, it's as cheap or cheaper to have it done so that is what I now do. I change the oil/filter on our bikes, but no longer the cars.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've changed my oil in my previously owned vehicles but I brought the maintenance package with this vehicle. A guy at my job recommended it. I don't pay for labor, I pay for parts and get a discount on the parts. I get a free clear coat each year, free premium floor mats... I'm going to get the slush mats for winter and rainy seasons...

I’m not expecting my oil and filter changes to even cost me as much as $30 a month to change at the dealer but I could be wrong. Anybody else brought the maintenance package and paid more than $30 for oil and filters change?
If you have your dealer change the oil inquiry what weight they are using. We have had several members on the other forumZ where the dealer used oil that was not spec for the engine. Engine required 5W20; dealer used 10w30.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have your dealer change the oil inquiry what weight they are using. We have had several members on the other forumZ where the dealer used oil that was not spec for the engine. Engine required 5W20; dealer used 10w30.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm actually going for an oil change within the next week so I'm def. going to stay on them.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

Unfortunately I think its typical for most any dealer to do this. They just use whatever they bought thats cheapest. One of the reasons I prefer to do it myself, you have to kinda watch them. Plenty of your instant oil change places do this as well, especially if they are the "cheap" places. Theres a reason why its so cheap. ;)

My wife has had pretty good luck with uncle ed's so she usually takes her truck there. Its her car, so fine by me. But they charge higher fees, and try to get you to replace everything under the sun everytime you go in there. You just have to be steadfast and say no just change the oil only lol.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you look in the owners manual the oil recommended is different for the R/T than other models. If the dealer put 10W30 in your RT then they followed the manufacture recommendations for the 3.5L. I don't have my manual in front of me but I think I recall that it's only the R/T that gets the w30, the 2.4L and 2.7L get the w20. I (or someone) will need to verify this in the owners manual.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 2.4l's only recommended oil is 5W20. This is not listed in the manual but 5W30 can be used countries that 5W20 is not sold. If 10W30 is the recommended oil in the 3.5l check the manual if 5W30 can also be used. 5W30 would have superior flow characteristics on cold starts and this is where the most engine wear happens at.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I change my own oil and use the Mopar filter just in case. My sister who owns a Kia has some kind of oil changing package going on and marks her oil filter. She caught them not changing the filter and there was hell to pay.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I have always, except a few times when I didn't have a garage, changed my own oil. I have even changed my relatives oil for them too!

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you take it to the dealer just ask them to use bottled oil only not wall oil then check the invoice and see what they put in, MUST be 5w20. I dont use synthetic, just change every 3k and stick with one brand of oil and you should have no oil issues.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you take it to the dealer just ask them to use bottled oil only not wall oil then check the invoice and see what they put in, MUST be 5w20. I dont use synthetic, just change every 3k and stick with one brand of oil and you should have no oil issues.
If I did 3k oci, I would use regular oil also. That would put me changing my oil and filter every 2 months instead of 3 months.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

Hmmn...I never thought that you could ask for that specifically...but would they just charge more for the change?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hmmn...I never thought that you could ask for that specifically...but would they just charge more for the change?
most places use bulk oil, oil from large drums. If i recall many places actually specify that they use that. I would think there would be a price change. the more they buy the less the cost.

I know jiffy lube and pep boys offers levels of oil changes...
basic - bulk dino
synthetic blend
premium synehtic

I know pep boys also offers an engine flush that I do on my truck every year. They hook it up to a machine and run cleaning solution in the filter port at high psi and vacuum it out oil pan. This removes sludge build up. I've had this done the last few years on 2 different trucks. Pep boys will (for cost of oil) use any oil they sell (castrol, m1, texaco, royal purple).

- Dan M

·
Registered
118 Posts
I worked at a Mr. Lube when I was in college. A few notes.

- You will be charged extra for bottled oil instead of bulk oil, but you get to pick your brand, type and weight. Bulk oil is usually a major brand (we used Castrol), conventional, and almost universally 10W-30.

- You will likely not be allowed to "bring your own" and pay labor. A) They charge more for their own stuff - imagine going to a steakhouse and asking them to grill your porterhouse from home for the cost of labor. B) They will tell you it's for liability purposes, so that if there is a defect in the oil they put in that you brought, you could try to sue them. Sounds strange but I can believe it could happen.

- They will use their own brand of filter unless you pay extra for an OEM filter.

- Make sure you ask for the grease fittings to be done. They're supposed to anyway, but they're encouraged to "forget" when it's busy.

- They will try to sell you an engine flush every time. You only need one if you've abused your oil. Before you go in, check your oil, if it's midnight black, you should get a flush, but if it's only brown, decline.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I worked at a Mr. Lube when I was in college. A few notes.

- You will be charged extra for bottled oil instead of bulk oil, but you get to pick your brand, type and weight. Bulk oil is usually a major brand (we used Castrol), conventional, and almost universally 10W-30.

- You will likely not be allowed to "bring your own" and pay labor. A) They charge more for their own stuff - imagine going to a steakhouse and asking them to grill your porterhouse from home for the cost of labor. B) They will tell you it's for liability purposes, so that if there is a defect in the oil they put in that you brought, you could try to sue them. Sounds strange but I can believe it could happen.

- They will use their own brand of filter unless you pay extra for an OEM filter.

- Make sure you ask for the grease fittings to be done. They're supposed to anyway, but they're encouraged to "forget" when it's busy.

- They will try to sell you an engine flush every time. You only need one if you've abused your oil. Before you go in, check your oil, if it's midnight black, you should get a flush, but if it's only brown, decline.

Good tips! Thanks!

When I put amsoil in my contour (the one time I did it) I had the dealer do it for me and I supplied the oil and filter...all they did was charge for labor. But that was a dealer too, not sure the smaller shops would be as accomodating..

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Hey guys, I talked to one of my local shops and my buddy said he'd do the oil change, I just pay for labor :) But I have to supply the oil and filter, because he doesn't get full synthetic in bulk so it costs him an arm and a leg. I thought this was pretty fair...so question, I plan on using a K&N Filter, but what brand/type of oil should I get?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Hey guys, I talked to one of my local shops and my buddy said he'd do the oil change, I just pay for labor :) But I have to supply the oil and filter, because he doesn't get full synthetic in bulk so it costs him an arm and a leg. I thought this was pretty fair...so question, I plan on using a K&N Filter, but what brand/type of oil should I get?
Personally I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and if possible, skip the K&N and get an OEM one from the dealer, yes it costs a little more but atleast you know it is what the dealer would use or atleast should.

You can also order Amsoil but it get a little expensive or you can buy Royal Purple off the shelf. I am sure the even Castrol or Valveline or Quaker State has synthetics but you will just have to decide for yourself. If you really want to do some research, you can check out this website www.bobistheoilguy.com and there is some good studies done here.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Personally I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and if possible, skip the K&N and get an OEM one from the dealer, yes it costs a little more but atleast you know it is what the dealer would use or atleast should.

You can also order Amsoil but it get a little expensive or you can buy Royal Purple off the shelf. I am sure the even Castrol or Valveline or Quaker State has synthetics but you will just have to decide for yourself. If you really want to do some research, you can check out this website www.bobistheoilguy.com and there is some good studies done here.
Isn't K&N better than OEM? Like their air filters are typically better than oem correct?

Also what grade do I get? 5w10?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Isn't K&N better than OEM? Like their air filters are typically better than oem correct?

Also what grade do I get? 5w10?
I've used K & N before. Amsoil also makes filters but not sure if they have one for our car or not. I used Amsoil and an Amsoil filter in my contour before.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts