Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Avenger used this past Dec. ( less than 40k miles on it) A week after I took it home, the check engine light came on. I had a three month warranty on it, so I took it to the Dealership. They worked on it (the code is EVAP and EMISSIONS) replaced some sensors, I picked it back up and then it came back on a few days later. So back to the dealership it went. To make a VERY long story short - they've had my car more than I have. They've had it 15 times, replaced the sensors, the vapor canister (twice), the gas tank (twice), the gas cap, the purge line - and it still comes on. They've had a technician from Chrysler come down twice to look at it, and the last time he said he didn't know what else to try so he took all of the paperwork back with him to have an Engineer look at it. They were at a loss as well. So now (10 months later) the dealer wants to start over again from scratch!!! I'm incredibly annoyed (not to mention that they dealership is about 25 minutes from my home in good traffic). I am at a loss of what to do. At one point the salesman asked if I wanted something different and I asked how that would work and he had to check with the Manager. The manager told him he's going to have the service dept get it fixed. It isn't affecting how the car drives at all, my concerns are: 1) if the light just stays on FOREVER, how will I know if there really IS a major issue I need to be aware of? 2) if/when I go to resell it, who's going to buy a car with the check engine light on? I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Check your state's lemon law policy. I had a car with a water leak, dealer tried to fix it 3 times including replacing the rear window. They ended up buying it back for what I paid.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Time to stop having them play with electronic aspect of troubleshooting it and find a good shop that can perform a "smoke test" of the EVAP(gas vapor) system to find the leak that is causing this code. Have done this 3 times with my town & country, and always found some sort of split hose or connection in the system.
What is done is that a smoke machine is connected to one of the main EVAP hoses and smoke fills the lines and parts of it and escapes out at place(s) where it should not be coming out.Thus pinpointing the problem.
I understand your concerns, but this should really NOT be a hard problem to fix. Sounds like your dealer techs. are not so "techy".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your state's lemon law policy. I had a car with a water leak, dealer tried to fix it 3 times including replacing the rear window. They ended up buying it back for what I paid.
I did check the lemon laws.....it only pertains to a used car if it impedes the safety of the vehicle or if the vehicle isn't running. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to stop having them play with electronic aspect of troubleshooting it and find a good shop that can perform a "smoke test" of the EVAP(gas vapor) system to find the leak that is causing this code. Have done this 3 times with my town & country, and always found some sort of split hose or connection in the system.
What is done is that a smoke machine is connected to one of the main EVAP hoses and smoke fills the lines and parts of it and escapes out at place(s) where it should not be coming out.Thus pinpointing the problem.
I understand your concerns, but this should really NOT be a hard problem to fix. Sounds like your dealer techs. are not so "techy".

Someone else told me the same thing. I asked the service tech if they did that and he said yes, but I almost think he was just telling me that. I might call around and see where I can get this test done. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Good luck to you and for your Avenger! When you get some time, drop in at the Newbie check in page and "introduce yourself" to the whole forum family. As many members only watch certain pages here on the forum and may miss getting to know you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update: the dealership said they did do a smoke test and didn't find anything. The service manager went to a conference at Chrysler last week and talked to the Engineers while he was there. They told him to put a flight recorded on my car to see what's going on when the light comes on....so now I wait.....

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Well, If true about smoke testing then it would have to lay in the WIRING to EVAP system components.Sounds to me like they are not following the FULL diagnostic process tree(probably to time consumption). Could be a poor connection to one of the sensors or a wire that is shorting out under some specific operating condition. Have NEVER heard of an EVAP system giving this much trouble to any vehicle. Please do update us on this UNUSUAL problem your Avenger is having.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, If true about smoke testing then it would have to lay in the WIRING to EVAP system components.Sounds to me like they are not following the FULL diagnostic process tree(probably to time consumption). Could be a poor connection to one of the sensors or a wire that is shorting out under some specific operating condition. Have NEVER heard of an EVAP system giving this much trouble to any vehicle. Please do update us on this UNUSUAL problem your Avenger is having.
That is exactly what they told the manager....that they need to check the wiring connections, etc. After the flight recorder captures the light coming on, the Engineer is coming down to Toledo to look at the car with them. I will definitely keep you posted. Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Having spent time in my past as a dealer tech., Having to go thru and check wiring harnesses are the last thing a flat rate paid tech wants to do. It does NOT pay them for the hours usually spent finding wiring troubles. Replacing parts pays better. Because we all know the cars come from the factory with NO FLAWS or defective parts, including wiring harnesses! LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here we are 15 months later and I think they FINALLY figured out what the problem was. They've had the car back off and on about 4 times since my last update. They had TWO Chrysler Engineers come down to look at it and this is what they found/replaced. The hose to the manifold was pinched. When they went to inspect it the 'nipple' fell off. They noticed the nipple had a tube glued in the side of it (??), so they replaced all of that and so far so good! Fingers crossed :)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
THANKYOU so much for the update! EVAP codes do tend to be rather tough problems to correct, but that is why I ALWAYS try and do a thorough VISUAL inspection FIRST of all parts of a troublesome system.Seems they may not have done a very good job of that in the beginning. Here is to wishing you "happy motoring" with your Avenger for a LONG time now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts