Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dearlawdhelpwitthisthang 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here, and nearing my wits end. First, just a disclaimer. I am no mechanic, that's for sure, but I'm also no stranger to tools. I am a woodworker, and all around handy person. But cars aren't my strong suit, and neither is electrical. So this has been fun. Haha.

So, I've had the car for about 2 years, maybe a little longer. In that time, I've replaced the battery twice, the alternator twice (both not at the same time), and have spent an obscene amount of time trying to figure this car out. The second time I replaced the alternator (only 3 or 4 months ago), when I brought the old alternator back to Napa for them to test, they confirmed it was not any good anymore and gave me a new one. Maybe a month or so before that is when I replaced the battery.

On to the current dreadful puzzle. Maybe about 2 or so weeks ago, the ABS light, along with the traction control light, popped on. Then went off after a few minutes. It's been doing that since then. I have replaced the front passenger side sensor when I first got the car, along with the wheel bearing. Sometimes staying on for the entire drive, sometimes not coming on at all for a drive. I'm the type of person who (I know, I know...) if my car starts making a funny noise, I just turn up the radio a little bit. Haha. So I haven't done anything about it. I tried to get the code from the lights, but my code reader must not be fancy enough because my normally reliable, reader says there is no code.

Then a few days ago, driving home from work (a whopping 8-9 minute drive), my battery light came on. So the next day I took the battery out and thoroughly cleaned the posts and the terminal connectors from the wires (not entirely sure I am using the correct part names). Hooked the battery back up and of course the battery light didn't come on. A day or so later, after my terribly long trips to work and home, the light came back on. So when I hooked up my code reader, I used the data stream and a passenger in my car to monitor the voltage. Whether the car is moving or idling, the voltage remains between 12V and 12.2V It doesn't dip below that (except maybe 11.97 at the lowest and only for a split second.

Also, occasionally, my serpentine belt will belt out (see what I did there? Haha) a little, short-lived squeal. It seems to happen when I turn, but not every time I turn.

I am about to head out and see if I can check the wiring and connections from the battery posts to where you jump the car, alternator ⟷ battery, to and from the starter, also check the fuses, and attempt to check the ground.

If anyone has any other suggestions, tips, tricks, spells, or magic you're willing to gift me with, I'd be eternally greatful.

Signed,
Temper-shorted and Shocked

See less See more
#2 ·
First off we need more detail on your ride. Year, engine and mileage. We also need the fault codes that are showing up. If you don't have a code reader, it is always handy to have no matter what your ride is. Failing not having one most auto parts stores will read your cars faults for you. Get the codes and report back here so as a group we can guide you thru your issues. Good luck.

#3 ·
Hi!

First off,
I tried to get the code from the lights, but

Secondly, yeah I didn't include the car's information. I registered right before this and thought that it included the information when it asked me for registration. My apologies. Its a 2012 Dodge Avenger SE 2.4L. It has about 160,000 miles in it.

An update:

I just hooked up my battery charger to it and charged it. Before I put it back, it read 12.7V on my multimeter. I put it in the car, then using my code reader's data stream function monitored the battery voltage. I went approx. 0.4 miles down the block and it was down to about 10V. Needless to say I had to jump it and got it back home. Battery is charging again now.

A new symptom / development, though... When I was parking, I put the car in reverse and the 'BRAKE' light came on as if I had the emergency brake engaged. Of course I did not. I put it in drive, and it went off. It came back on when I put it back in reverse. It's never done that before.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.