clean the engine?

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger General Discussion' started by genxie, Apr 7, 2016.

1. genxie

genxie New Member

Sorry if it's already come up..I have the 2.4 4 cylinder and I want to know has anyone cone across a good method to clean the exterior of the engine itself so it looks nice.

Pressure washing I was warned to be careful about...

Then there is the spray can of stuff then hose it off. ....

Any ideas or tried and true methods?

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Wellll everybody does have their opinion, So here is mine.
    go to a store and get a gallon of Simple Green cleaner and get a hold onto a pump spray bottle that can mist and stream. Run the engine for just a few minutes , not getting to full temp. Mist down engine bay with garden hose, NOT soaking it.then start spaying on the cleaner as a mist ,use stream for hard to reach places. Let it work for 15-20 minutes then garden hose spay down the engine bay. Repeat steps as needed to get desired results.

Hope this helps you out

3. Leadfootluke

Leadfootluke Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Personally, if I am detailing someone else's vehicle or my own, I will use a large combination of cleaners and brushes. I worry about covering the alternator, [very] open wiring, open filter elements, or anything that is intentionally shielded from the elements from the factory. First I quick go over the engine bay with compressed air to remove loose debris. Then, I rinse the engine bay with the hose on a mister setting, but not with heavy flow or high pressure. Once rinsed, I soak the engine bay with an All purpose cleaner out of a spray bottle. I use a variety of detailing brushes [wool, bristle, foam, etc] to clean in all of the crevasses. I find paint brushes to work very well, the detailing brushes I use are basically paint brushes with rubber handles to prevent scratching on painted surfaces. After all of the grooves are agitated I will rinse the engine bay out once again. Then, using compressed air I try to remove as much water as possible.

Lastly is whatever dressing you want to use. I prefer a natural finish as opposed to a glossy finish. The ones I prefer to use I apply liberally over the engine bay while it is still wet, allow to sit until it starts to dry, but before leaving high spots I wipe down any of the plastic surfaces with a cotton cloth. After the dressing is dry, I use a detail spray on all of the painted surfaces. Whatever you do, avoid allowing any water or cleaners to dry as they will either leave water spots or redeposit dirt, oils, etc.

4. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Some GOOD points, How long does your process usually take?

5. Leadfootluke

Leadfootluke Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Usually 15 minutes on my mostly clean engine, up to an hour or more on a detail with a very dirty engine.

6. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the reply, that is about what I was thinking. Have a great new week.

7. Canadan300

Canadan300 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Go to car wash, open hood, spray liberally with high pressure rinse, go home, use leaf blower to dry engine. Done.

When I have time and the inclination strikes, I will detail the motor with a low gloss tire dressing...spray it on everything under the hood after blow drying, and wipe off/buff with a clean cloth. Looks showroom new.

As long as you have never had any bad fluid leaks, you do not need to use any cleaners or chemicals.

8. Canadan300

Canadan300 New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    2008 SXT with 145,000 miles and still looks like new under the hood...

[​IMG]

9. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I think that Texas hot , dry air has something to do with helping out in the "like new" look! LOL Watch out for Polar Bears !!

10. Germax

Germax Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    @canadan that surely looks clean!!! Just a little: buy yourself an upper strut brace from the 3.6 ltr 2012-2016 models. This is the best modification to the car you can do, no more torque steer, much better handling for something like $ 40.00.

11. itkonen

itkonen New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I tried a few methods today. First compressed air to loose dirt and vacuumed with brush vacuum. Next sprayed some crc engine cleaner in parts I wanted to clean. Then used small steamcleaner and then rinsed with low pressure water.

And then I did the thing that actually cleaned, wiped with a wet microfibre cloth. Using stick inside it to get to small places.

Last thing waxed hood downside and parts that were painted. And then added C4 to some rubber and plastic. There is still a lot to do ( polish metal, fix rest of rubber and plastic, paint rusted bolts etc but ran out of patience for today. Maybe someday.... :D

Tyrone23 likes this.