Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all :wavey:

I just want to know how do u guys clean ur cars,i mean what are the steps ! :i_rolleyes:
cos i have a black avenger so i cant use any cloth cos it'll cause scratches on the car right !!
and also how do u clean the interior of ur cars ?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I usually take it to the car wash and pay $20 plus tip. They do a really good job though. :)

When I do it myself I use the mr clean autodry system on the outside followed by hand waxing with soft cotton cloths to apply and microfiber towels to remove. For the inside, just a simple wipe down and vacuum. But I tend to keep the inside relatively clean all the time.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Those are good tips AvengerRT. I love the Mr. Clean system! It works great. I usually just take mine down to the 'beater' wash. That is the old style car wash with the spinning things... I have found that those are almost as good as a hand wash. The one worry I always have is if it will scratch up, or dent my cars, but it has been fine for a couple years.

If I have to wax the car, then I hand wash it with the Mr. Clean system.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
In the winter, it's usually the automatic car wash. You will eventually end up with a minor scratch or two though - unless it is a true touch-less.
In the summer, it's the hand/coin wash followed by a micro-fiber dry. Then a couple waxes a year. I think i'll try the Black Magic liquid wax this year.

Interior is just wiped down with a damp micro-fiber cloth and vacuum. Like AvengerRT, I don't let the interior get that dirty. I even knock the snow off my shoes before I get in - my daughter says I look like the girl in The Wizard of Oz tapping my heels together. I just turned in a leased Caliber after about 18 months, and it was just as clean as the day I leased it. It helps that the kids are now adults and no longer live with me. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
In the winter, it's usually the automatic car wash. You will eventually end up with a minor scratch or two though - unless it is a true touch-less.
In the summer, it's the hand/coin wash followed by a micro-fiber dry. Then a couple waxes a year. I think i'll try the Black Magic liquid wax this year.

Interior is just wiped down with a damp micro-fiber cloth and vacuum. Like AvengerRT, I don't let the interior get that dirty. I even knock the snow off my shoes before I get in - my daughter says I look like the girl in The Wizard of Oz tapping my heels together. I just turned in a leased Caliber after about 18 months, and it was just as clean as the day I leased it. It helps that the kids are now adults and no longer live with me. :smiley_thumbs_up:
I actually use the quarter car wash in winter as well :/ I know it's freezing, but I used to have like WAY back in the day lol a black chevy Xtreme S10...and from going to the automatic washes, I had the orange peel effect really bad, but who knows, maybe paint was crappy back then, this was in like 98-99 I think...so I hated that look because after its clean and the sun hits at the right angle, all you see is all of those little dimples in the paint, drove me nuts...since then I freeze my butt off lol

If you have chrome rims, I also use a chrome wax that protects them very well...I will have to look up the name, think its eagle one something, but its like fiberglass insulation - worked really good, blocks about 60-75% of brake dust as well..

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm sure most will think I'm just a tad anal about keeping my car clean after reading this. But, since I have had a lot of people over the years comment on how clean the cars I own/have owned look here goes.

First thing I do with a new car is wash it thoroughly with Dawn dish soap, this will strip any grease/wax that may be on the paint. Once the car is dry I use a clay bar to remove any particulates that might be embedded in the paint (rail dust, bird droppings, etc). After the clay bar I will use something called ScratchX, it removes those small spiderweb type scratches and swirl marks. Finally I followup with a quality liquid wax.

After that my general routine to keeping the car looking good is a weekly washing, and apply wax every other month.

Every six months I will wash with Dawn and then go through the original process of clay bar, ScratchX, Wax.

I prefer Meguiar's products, specifically I use their Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner, ScratchX and their Gold Class Liquid Wax. I use a high quality, extra thick microfiber wash mitt when washing and I have a separate bucket/wash mitt that is only used for rims/tires. I apply all products with 100% cotton applicator pads and remove it with microfiber towels.

I also keep some seamless/tagless cloth diapers and some quick detailer in the trunk to remove bird droppings, tree sap etc. throughout the week.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
ScratchX works pretty good....I had it take off some major paint scuffs I had from a mishap with the garage. At least on metal it works good. On the plastic bumpers it doesn't seem to fair as well. It helps but not like on the metal surfaces.

Plus it seems, at least on the black cars, that they use a black bumper ro prime it black before painting. Then they put the paint over it but it seems a pretty thin layer. I had what appears to be a slight mark on mine from some idiot in a parking lot. I haven't tryed the scratch X but it appears the paint is gone and there is just bumper or primer left. Either that or it was a black car that did it and its his paint lol..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, man, don't get me started. As someone who started in the detail shop and then went to body work... I take about 3 hours in the nice weather to go down to the pay'n'spray and get the whole thing done by hand, myself.

Hot tip - Window cleaner, wheel cleaner, tire dressing. I don't care what brand you use, but if the wheels don't shine, the windows don't sparkle, and the tires aren't black enough to generate anti-matter, it ain't clean.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Oh, man, don't get me started. As someone who started in the detail shop and then went to body work... I take about 3 hours in the nice weather to go down to the pay'n'spray and get the whole thing done by hand, myself.

Hot tip - Window cleaner, wheel cleaner, tire dressing. I don't care what brand you use, but if the wheels don't shine, the windows don't sparkle, and the tires aren't black enough to generate anti-matter, it ain't clean.

Anti-matter....hehe I like the sound of that!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My first car was a 1985 Caprice Classic, former squad car.

I painted it gold on tan with a tan interior, added some stiffer rear end springs, put in a 3.43 Posi, a hood scoop and a NASCAR style blade spoiler. I put 18" wheels on the front and 21"s on the back. It looked slammed... and better yet, everyone came to talk to me about it - they usually loved it, or wanted to know what the hell I was on.

The point of this story is that despite having blacked out windows, and multi-spoked wheels, and white-letter Cobra tires, if the windows were dusty, or the wheels were gross, or the black didn't pop, it didn't matter what the rest of the car looked like. It just looked like some old grampa car.

If you want an experiment, just run your car through an automatic washer, and the then look at it after it dries (this is key). If your tires look grey, or you've got brake crud in your wheels, it won't have that "snap" to it.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
My first car was a 1985 Caprice Classic, former squad car.

I painted it gold on tan with a tan interior, added some stiffer rear end springs, put in a 3.43 Posi, a hood scoop and a NASCAR style blade spoiler. I put 18" wheels on the front and 21"s on the back. It looked slammed... and better yet, everyone came to talk to me about it - they usually loved it, or wanted to know what the hell I was on.

The point of this story is that despite having blacked out windows, and multi-spoked wheels, and white-letter Cobra tires, if the windows were dusty, or the wheels were gross, or the black didn't pop, it didn't matter what the rest of the car looked like. It just looked like some old grampa car.

If you want an experiment, just run your car through an automatic washer, and the then look at it after it dries (this is key). If your tires look grey, or you've got brake crud in your wheels, it won't have that "snap" to it.
So weather is being somewhat friendly saturday to us michigan people...I'm going to attempt to clean mine so I can get some pics...hopefully my fingers don't freeze :p

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So weather is being somewhat friendly saturday to us michigan people...I'm going to attempt to clean mine so I can get some pics...hopefully my fingers don't freeze :p

I was thinking of doing the same hehe...

·
Registered
118 Posts
It warmed up to almost 10 C (50 F) here today. While I welcome the change from the -30 C (-20 F), it makes washing a car worthless as the streets are just rivers of slushy mud.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ya but you could fill a gallon jug with the salt thats on my car right now. :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mmm salty. I forget that Ontario and Michigan like to use the winter snow period to try and make car-jerky.

They actually don't use salt on the roads in the prarries, because it usually never gets up to -10C without it going above freezing anyway, so what's the point? On a related note, I saw a an old pickup truck in Jasper park being eaten by goats because it was so salty. And it wasn't stuck in a ditch or anything it was in a parkinglot with a whole family of goats licking it.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Mmm salty. I forget that Ontario and Michigan like to use the winter snow period to try and make car-jerky.

They actually don't use salt on the roads in the prarries, because it usually never gets up to -10C without it going above freezing anyway, so what's the point? On a related note, I saw a an old pickup truck in Jasper park being eaten by goats because it was so salty. And it wasn't stuck in a ditch or anything it was in a parkinglot with a whole family of goats licking it.
lolololol that is too funny...

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the winter, its wash it when I can, but in the summer, it's a weekly wash and a monthly wax...Now my wife tells me I'm anal, so I just have to ask...Do the rest of you clean inside the door jams and trunk, so there's no dirt or dust when you open the door or trunk and under the hood, so when you open the hood, the engine compartment looks like a million bucks with no dust or dirt? She tells me I'm the only nut!:4-dontknow:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts