Clutch adjustment?

Discussion in 'UK' started by GJK, Dec 22, 2017.

1. GJK

GJK New Member

After a couple of months I'm really enjoying my 2008 SXT 2.0 litre manual. One thing I'd like to correct is the length of clutch pedal travel before operation, as I seem to be pressing it right to the floor.
    On inspection I thought I'd spotted the operating cable but after getting someone to depress the pedal neither cable moved so I'm guessing these are for gear selection.
    Has anyone adjusted a clutch before and if so point me in the right direction, I'm assuming now that I get at it from underneath.
    Thanks in advance.

2. GJK

GJK New Member

Update - since I posted this I've had an issue with the clutch. On Christmas day of all days I lost all clutch feeling, pedal to the floor with no clutch operation. Luckily I was on a quiet road and the recovery company didn't take too long to pick the car up. Had some time to look over the car today and it turns out the clutch shares the master cylinder with the brakes, something I didn't find out on the internet. The pedal operates correctly and there's no air in the line as I've done a bleed just in case. Investigating further I see online there's an actuator within the bell housing so hopefully my usual garage will be open tomorrow and the car will get sorted. Could've done without a costly repair but my plan while they've got it opened up is to have the clutch plates replaced as well as the offending actuator, makes sense.

3. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Yup, I was pretty sure being a hydraulic assembly that there is no adjustment. A clutch job is a pretty big deal to do and therefore ALL components should be renewed while it is apart.Sorry that it went bad on you on such a SPECIAL day.
    Hope you have HAPPIER times thru the rest of the holidays!

4. GJK

GJK New Member

Well got the car back just over a week ago. The offending part was the slave cylinder which is situated inside the bell housing so a strip down was required. Naturally it'd be stupid not to replace the clutch itself while opened up and this is where the problems started. Aftermarket clutch kits aren't available for my car as it's a petrol version so the kit had to be ordered via Fiat. Ordering was a straightforward process and the parts would arrive from Italy in 2-3 days. Fiat decided to change delivery companies which caused delays in parts getting to the UK, in my case over 2 weeks! Anyway all sorted now and the clutch is as sweet as can be. For info the clutch kit from Fiat was a little over £140 + vat, the slave cylinder obtained locally was £45 + vat.

John316 likes this.
  5. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Other than the time delay of delivery, the parts cost don't sound too awful! glad to hear that all is well now. My that is an unusual power package for an Avenger, as I was only aware of the Diesel in the European market.

6. John316

John316 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Glad you got it sorted! :D