Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 avenger, 2.4L SXT model and I am having problems with my AC. The compressor is not kicking in and the clutch doesn't engage. So far the tests done were:

1) I tested the compressor's power cable and had my wife turn on and off the AC. I am only getting a constant 2V on that, showing me that the compressor clutch is not really receiving the proper voltage to engage.
2) After that I headed to a shop that did a fuse continuity test for me. We didn't find anything there either.
3) An OBD was used to check the computer and when the button is pressed to turn the compressor on, the computer also shows it on, so no problem there.

Note: the system HAS refrigerant and acceptable pressure to start the compressor.

My plan now is to replace the pressure transducer and see what happens. Any further ideas?

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, replacing the pressure transducer didn't solve the problem. I swapped some fuses and relays to see and no solution either.
Correction to my last post, I am getting 5V constantly, AC button on or off.

Help plz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the HVAC dash control is bad not allowing enough voltage to the clutch??
Yes, most probably Intrepid, I just wonder why. Today I got another clue, I checked the car with an OBD scanner and I am getting the following codes P0645, P0688 and P0685 all pointing to a relay issue (one of them being A/C clutch relay).
I pop the hood open the relay compartment and find this (picture below).

One of the relays was jumped. The interesting part is, when I bought a relay on Partsource and put it in to substitute the wire, the car won't start.

Any ideas how do I solve this now?

Thank you for the help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
Those relays are all the same part, did you try swapping one from the others into that "jumpered" one and using the new one in that ones place? The others are for the radiator fans...do the radiator fans operate either when called for by engine temp or for A/C? Next thing would be to then unfasten the TIPM and check the wiring going into the bottom of it and out to that relay position.

EDIT: that jumper in place of a relay would be to have something(A/C clutch) energized at all times when power is supplied thru it. You may have a bad a/c clutch.
And do you mean the car won't Crank or just spins the motor and no run?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those relays are all the same part, did you try swapping one from the others into that "jumpered" one and using the new one in that ones place? The others are for the radiator fans...do the radiator fans operate either when called for by engine temp or for A/C? Next thing would be to then unfasten the TIPM and check the wiring going into the bottom of it and out to that relay position.

EDIT: that jumper in place of a relay would be to have something(A/C clutch) energized at all times when power is supplied thru it. You may have a bad a/c clutch.
And do you me the car won't Crank or just spins the motor and no run?
Thank you for the help @5rebel9 .

I tried using one of the other equal rellays in it's place and the car won't start either. Yes, I am thinking there's a short on the TIPM wires too!
I would agree with you on the A/C clutch IF I was getting 12V on the cable connecting to the A/C clutch. But I am only getting 5V (whether the A/C button is on or off). I rather think that something is shorting one of this relay connections preventing the car from starting and also preventing the clutch from getting the 12V.

I will try taking the TIPM out during the weekend to check...

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I agree with Rebel that the jumper was in place to constantly energize the clutch. Hard to say what has been done previously to the car:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts