Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Avenger has developed a significant coolant leak. It only seems to leak though, when the engine is cool. The leak seems1 to be coming from somewhere underneath the air box. The car does not overheat. Is this likely a thermostat gasket issue? Fyi, recently changed the valve cover gasket and removed and replaced the throttle body to clean it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recommend replacing the thermostat, and gasket. On the entire football sized housing, there are 3-4 hose connections, and on the inside there are some gaskets as well. You may want inspect all houses and gaskets coming to and inside that housing. I had the same issue myself until it got to the point of overheating and being on the side of the road for awhile. All my coolant had spewed out of the system just about. I replaced the whole housing/assembly. It comes with new gaskets, and new thermostat. Also be very careful of the Sensor on top of the housing. You may as well replace that too. It's $20. I broke the plastic wings off of mine when transferring it to the new part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend replacing the thermostat, and gasket. On the entire football sized housing, there are 3-4 hose connections, and on the inside there are some gaskets as well. You may want inspect all houses and gaskets coming to and inside that housing. I had the same issue myself until it got to the point of overheating and being on the side of the road for awhile. All my coolant had spewed out of the system just about. I replaced the whole housing/assembly. It comes with new gaskets, and new thermostat. Also be very careful of the Sensor on top of the housing. You may as well replace that too. It's $20. I broke the plastic wings off of mine when transferring it to the new part.
Thank you. That is what I was thinking I might have to do. I just wasn't sure if that was the issue since it only seems to leak when the engine is cold and the car has been sitting for more than a day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts