cost of getting window regulator changed

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hemiman, Aug 2, 2017.

1. hemiman

hemiman New Member

Looking for what some other dealers charged to change the window regulator on a 2008 Avenger. Left side.
    I think you could buy a couple of used doors complete for what they want to change it.

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    WHY would you go to a DEALER with an '08? Check out a good Independant shop! It only takes a little more than an hour to do. And WELCOME BACK, it has been a while since hearing from you.:)

3. brannigan03

brannigan03 Member

Media:
    If you're mechanically inclined there's no reason to have anyone do the work for you. It's easy.

4. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    At this members very respectable age...I would encourage member hemiman to "give it a go"..but definitely an independant repair shop would cost less than a dealer.

5. brannigan03

brannigan03 Member

Media:
    I wasn't looking at the members age. Just meant that it's an easy job.

5rebel9 likes this.
  6. hemiman

hemiman New Member

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Been playing with mid 60 Dodge and Plymouths for 55 years. 2 things that I never got along well with Auto transmissions and Window tracks. I found a lot of info and a good video of changing the window regulator. I am going for it. What bothered me was where do I string all the cables but after looking at more stuff on internet I see it is pre threaded into a what looks like a gear drive winder that comes with the replacement kit. .
    So before I start am I right in thinking that those 2 tracks snap into the glass and then you line up 4 bolts in the inner panel through the 2 track runners and then fit the motor to inner panel. It does sound easy and way easier than the old window track systems.
    Also how do I get a picture of my avenger on my profile?
    Thanks

5rebel9 likes this.
  7. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    GO FOR IT..hemiman!!!...Seems we share some knowledge in common, only I was playing with VW's back then! Though a few year after you, I started around '73 and still remember working on the old early 60's models!

8. brannigan03

brannigan03 Member

Media:
    There are 4 bolts that attach the track to the inner panel. The track needs to be installed on the panel before it's inserted into the door. Bottom goes into the door first. Make sure the white clips are clipped into the holes in the bottom of the window. Mine wouldn't lock in all the way so I reconnected all the electrical and rolled up the window. They clicked in where they were supposed to and we've had no issues since. We ordered it from rockauto for a decent price.

9. hemiman

hemiman New Member

Thanks for the info. Like all jobs that are new to me, once started they go OK. Learned a few things doing this repair. Like someone said the 2nd time will be easier. I taped the window up and made a wood block to keep it down when pushing the white clips on. Had trouble getting the clips all way on until I stuck my hand up there and the top of the metal track was hitting top of door opening. Lowered window down another inch and made a new wood block an inch longer Clip clip. All went well and yes they are easier than the old cars. The video on YouTube is very helpful . Just a note. Dealer price (Canadian) $138. Asked if they could do better as I bought 3 cars from them. Got it $123. We don't have any discount auto places here just NAPA $143.

10. brannigan03

brannigan03 Member

Media:
    Glad you got it all fixed up. I'm sure it's more satisfying knowing that you were able to do the work rather than get ripped off by someone else.

11. MaverickAngel

MaverickAngel Avengers Unite! Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the tips! I have to do this to my '11 Avenger because right now you can only roll up the window if you push down on a specific place on the button while pulling up on the switch. At the moment with all the in and out Dude has been doing to the dealership, I am having fun when the shop calls worried they busted it. I laugh and laugh, then tell them the trick. I have to get to it before winter though or the laugh will be on me!