Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the sensor for the crankshaft and still same problem. Any suggestions ? Replacement was a Duralast from Auto Zone. Should I go OEM ? 2.4L 2008 SXT

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
I changed the sensor for the crankshaft and still same problem. Any suggestions ? Replacement was a Duralast from Auto Zone. Should I go OEM ? 2.4L 2008 SXT
Many reports here of the 2.4 motor NOT liking non OEM sensors....so a possibility. BUT are you "throwing" parts or actually following DTC code diagnostic steps to determine if a bad sensor or something else(worn timing chain/guides, wireing,etc.), I don't believe you've ever posted of miles or any maint done to this now 13 year old vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it used at 98k not sure of the previous maintenance but I've been changing the oil every 4k miles and I changed the trans fluid power steering fluid coolant and it now has 139k. It has a code for Crankshaft Sensor Intermittent and Codes for Multiple Random Misfires and also a Code for Misfire Cylinder 4. I forgotten the actual codes but however I looked up the symptoms of a bad crankshaft sensor and all of the symptoms it has. 1.Flashing Check Engine Light
2.Stalling
3.Hard To start
4.Rough Idle
Plus when I go over 40mph it starts clattering and feeling like it's going to stall so I parked it and been driving my Wife's Highlander ever since. But I just really want to fix my baby. She's been good to me only changed the Valve Cover Gasket and the Alternator and Window Switch other than that solid

·
Premium Member
6,878 Posts
You don't mention spark plugs being replaced. No matter what, they are finding that the 2.4 is only good for about 50-60k miles. Cheap enough and easy to do for a possible cause of misfire code, and if misfiring bad enough can throw a crank sensor code.
DO NOT just diagnose by symptom, get DTC codes and follow the diagnostic tree steps to pinpoint the cause. IT WILL save money on wasted parts and efforts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update? I'm having a similar issue, 207,000 Miles 2008 2.4l Avenger SE, Only one Code Random Multiple Misfire.
Started out with multiple codes one day on my way home and then being stuck in limp mode.
P0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire
P0315 No Crank Sensor Learned
P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit
I replaced the crank sensor with Duralast brand one at first, then with an Standard Ignition Brand that fixed all the other codes but got stuck with a P0300 code that won't go away.
New Spark Plugs, Coils, and one new injector, New Camshaft Sensors, New Upstream O2 Sensor, did a exhaust backpressure test, compression test. Car actually runs real smooth not noticed any performance lost runs about the same as before the codes first came up. Only thing really noticed is it has terrible gas mileage after replacing the crankshaft sensor. I've tried the Relearn Procedure (Coast from 70 - Light Dings goes solid then returns to flashing during each try), checked and cleaned battery terminals all the grounds. Vacuum 19-20" at idle. Checked/wigled wires connector between ECU and CKP sensor and shows as low resistance as my meter reads 0.4 ohms, stuck an oscilloscope on signal wire between ecu and ckp and have a smooth 5v square waveform at idle nothing that jumps out as a bad signal. I'm down to trying to find a OEM CKP sensor or take it the dealer and having them check the computer and do a diagnostic, reflash or relearn procedure with their computer.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Most people don't seem to realize that they should only use OE brand sensors in their vehicle. NTK/NGK is the brand that should be used. You can get them from Rockauto dot com for an economical price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most people don't seem to realize that they should only use OE brand sensors in their vehicle. NTK/NGK is the brand that should be used. You can get them from Rockauto dot com for an economical price.
I've read conflicting posts, some say for the CKP sensor Mopar brand is OE while others say NTK. Regardless I plan on calling a couple dealerships around me and see what their part departments carry and buy one from them if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts