CRAZY..BUT IT WORKS | Dodge Avenger Forum

CRAZY..BUT IT WORKS

Discussion in 'Detailing and General Maintenance Forum' started by 5rebel9, Aug 21, 2017.

1. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    The title says it all! My coupes headlights have ALWAYS looked poorly with fade/dulling, I saw on a advertising block about alternative cleaning products and thought I would try it.
    From out of the bathroom cabinet, I pulled out a tube of TOOTHPASTE with baking soda and whitener, an old(but clean) cotton sock and a small bowl of water. With small amount of paste on the sock and dampened with a little water, I used small overlapping circular pattern across the lights. Before it could dry, I took another dampened towel and wiped it off. The results are AMAZING! No expensive "restorers",sanding or buffing wheels. Being in as bad of shape as these 20 year old headlights were, I did a second application laterally across the lights doing as earlier said,and they look even better! Total time for BOTH..20 minutes max! IT WORKS!!!:cool::cool::D:D

2. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Seeing how it is past time to EDIT this last post... I forgot to add

It also leaves behind a nice MINT aroma afterwards!..LOL:D:rolleyes:

3. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a media picture posted of my GEM's spiffed up rims, there is one shot that will show just how bad its headlights were. Am working to get pic's taken to post of the AFTER the toothpaste cleaning! AND it is paste NOT GEL that is used!

4. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I have found an older digital camera and usb cable the rest of my family said that was broke..put fresh batteries into it and it works fine. Took a few test shots and the camera indeed works..Just spent the last 1.5 hrs trying to figure out how to download them to my PC and am failing MISERABLY!No operating booklet with the camera and case!:(:mad:;)

5. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    OKAY! I think I got this figured out, here goes nothing! DSC06163.JPG DSC06164.JPG
    What a pain it was to do this pic thing! But as I said this alternative cleaning trick WORKS!

dk1677 likes this.
  6. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Okay so I am finally getting brave and learning how to post pic's and move them around. Sorry for the goofy ways these latest ones are getting posted. But here is the shot that I said showed the POOR condition(before) headlight.

Attached Files:

7. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't even believe it..But it works on alloy rims that are gunked up with baked on brake dust and road debris and discoloration. I am spiffing up a Caravan for a friend, and the rims were HORRIBLE. I sprayed them with penetrating oil and let that soak overnight, then did my TOOTHPASTE thing on them.Took longer than small headlights(and there were 4 rims to do), but the shine is like brand new! Too bad I can't spend more time working on the corrosion etching from wheel weights on these 15 year old rims!

8. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Active Member

Media:
    Wow those turned out amazing and looking like new again! Nice work!

5rebel9 likes this.
  9. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Yup, I had tried Meguiars headlight resto. kit, household cleaners , clean and then Rainex, and nothing really did the job.And all took FOREVER in doing!
    No more toothpaste used to clean the headlights than 4 or 5 days of brushing your teeth!!..LOL:D:D
    I will try and take some pic's of the rims that I cleaned yesterday, but there are NO before pic's, and comparatively my Gem's "before" rims were like new to the way these looked on this Caravan!..They did pretty much FINISH off the tube of toothpaste though, but at a $1.95 for a medium size tube...Who cares!:rolleyes:

10. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Active Member

Media:
    So it works good on wheels as well?

11. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    After I sprayed penetrating oil and let is soak overnight, I used toothpaste(baking soda and whitener) as said with a cotton sock. I took pic's (the EASY part) of them, the hard part comes tonight to download them into my PC and then the slightly easier task to put them on the forumz..Stay tuned they WILL show up one way or another(thanks BLONDIE)!:D:rolleyes:

EDIT: good gracious that went too easy...Here they come!
    The Left rear is a different design but same finish..so did not take a pic of that one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  12. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    When you open the pic's of the rims and enlarge them, you will see the crud in the lug nut pockets that I could not get to with rims mounted ...the WHOLE rim looked like that before tackling all four of them!

13. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Active Member

Media:
    Hey hey hey this is a Dodge Avenger Forum NOT a Dodge Caravan!

14. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah I know..But it is still DODGE, and it(the inexpensive cleaner) would still work on an AVENGER(even a ugh..SEDAN)LOL:D
    I still am amazed at how the rims cleaned up, Not perfect but a world better than what it came like! Have not risked on any painted surfaces yet though!

EDIT: @ tyronne, Seems I remember somebody posting of detailing a Minivan AND a JEEP here somewhere!!...ROFL:D:D;):eek:

15. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Active Member

Media:
    Well that's ok because I did it haha :D:D

5rebel9 likes this.
  16. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    9/05/17 UPDATE:
    Well I just checked on another forum I use for my daughters Kia, and have found confirmation about the toothpaste "trick' to clean headlights! His post was almost word for word of what I posted here, only he has been doing this for the last 2 YEARS with his cars! So it must work.. and I am not the CRAZY one!..LOL

17. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    My fellow Church member friend came and brought papers & plates for the shorty Caravan on Friday, When he pulled into the driveway and saw it I thought he was going to break down in tears of joy and relief at how good it looked. He had NO pictures or knowledge of the cleaning work I had done to it until I started showing him around the van and explaining what had been done by the seller and what and how to work the features and controls it did have.In fact he went thru this whole deal sight unseen till he brought out his plates! Said he had not had a vehicle this nice in 15 years, and the price was UNBELIEVABLE for what he was getting. He had been buying $500.00 clunkers and putting what money he could into them to pass inspection and then repeating that process. I told him that he was throwing a lot of money away piecemeal doing that and this one should last him 4 -5 years easy. He can now transport and use the electric scooter he needs to go shopping and such due to his health disabilities that are worse than my back troubles! He just needs to find a place to store the 2 middle bucket seats to carry the scooter!
    EDIT: did I ever say that this was another $1K deal that I arranged for him? Here in WNY it is NOT easy to find a decent, ready to run ride for that amount of money!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  18. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    OK here goes..

Our Lux. Liner had a light rust stain, from a metal frame rear wiper blade, that ran down the rear hatch. A little of that toothpaste on a damp cotton cloth, and just a light swipe took the rust right off washed and dried the area, and NO paint harm at all or any "staining"!
    I found that Dollar General stores carry a medium size tube of Crest with baking soda and whitener for $1.00 +tax! Can ANYONE show me a less expensive all around automotive cleaner????

19. Chromdillion

Chromdillion Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Holy thread revival, Batman! I too have used whitening toothpaste on my SUV with phenomenal results! I was pleasantly surprised. Sadly, my Venge headlights were so deteriorated, toothpaste did absolutely nothing, so I had to buy a new set of headlights.

However; I also used toothpaste on my previous vehicle, an 06 Impreza that someone scraped the back passenger side of the bumper. Left a giant scrape. I read online about toothpaste, gave it a whirl, and WOW the results! All it took was the toothpaste, a microfiber cloth, and some water to rinse after! Won't fix everything, but if a scape is still essentially on the clearcoat, it should work like it did for me!

Before/After results below. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5rebel9 likes this.
  20. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    That is impressive...thanks for sharing:cool:

Chromdillion likes this.