Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I have a 2013 Avenger SE with 2.4L. Has anyone had trouble with their Cruise Control not activating when pressing the button? Happened a couple times last year and eventually it responds to come on. Seems it is now doing it more frequently. Any suggestions as to what to look for would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Have you scanned for error codes? Is there a check engine light or tire pressure sensor light on? If the light is on it won't let the cruise to engage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you scanned for error codes? Is there a check engine light or tire pressure sensor light on? If the light is on it won't let the cruise to engage.
Hi Intrepid, thanks for your reply! I have not scanned for codes. No check engine light, no TPMS light on either. Engine is up to temperature, full tank of gas, and travel time was about 20 minutes. Running the A/C or not never made any difference now or before. Made a 15 minute stop and returned home. After 10 minutes, the Cruise control was back in operation as normal. With 77k miles, maybe a scan check will reveal something, or maybe I should start checking all the connectors for tightness and/or corrosion. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know. Will keep you posted if and when I find something. Thx

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Maybe the buttons are starting to wear out if you use them a lot.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have on a different vehicle where it is related to the brake pedal switch. While it doesn't apply the brakes, it shorts out enough to disable cruise control

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine stops working from time to time.
Here is what I do...

The connection is line of pins to the left of the buttons.
Press firmly on the left side of the buttons to seat the button connection.
Normally fixes it for 6 months or so.

Here a picture (also a pretty cheap replacement) from ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine stops working from time to time.
Here is what I do...

The connection is line of pins to the left of the buttons.
Press firmly on the left side of the buttons to seat the button connection.
Normally fixes it for 6 months or so.

Here a picture (also a pretty cheap replacement) from ebay.
Well, I may have found the problem. Whilst in park, I tapped the brake pedal about 30 times, just to razz the brake switch a few times, thinking the contacts were dirty. And,,, lo and behold, the cruise light would come on/off like it should.
Time will tell if this fix lasts. You need to be a contorsionist to get at that switch, has multiple wires. Will try for a while and revisit this post. Thanks to all that shared!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts