Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to run wiring up along the door channels? it looks like they really make it hard to lift the door channeling to run the cabling under the carpet.

any help be appreciated

running 3 trunk mounted Motorola 2 way radio systems with remote heads

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
how hard is it to run wiring up along the door channels? it looks like they really make it hard to lift the door channeling to run the cabling under the carpet.

any help be appreciated

running 3 trunk mounted Motorola 2 way radio systems with remote heads
Not sure. I would think that you could get the channeling up...but how much room is there is really going to be the concern.

I hope we can get a factory service manual soon enough...makes figuring this sort of stuff out a lot easier.

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can control head wiring and antenna up the channel. was pretty easy. now i just have to mount the control head next to the scanner.

then comes the power cabling to run the trunk mounted radios

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
can control head wiring and antenna up the channel. was pretty easy. now i just have to mount the control head next to the scanner.

then comes the power cabling to run the trunk mounted radios

Can I ask what it is your doing this for? Just wondering. Is it for some sort of mobile base station?

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
havent been taking pics , and i guess you can call it a mobile commo unit. don't need alot of power to get around in the city.

did just get the vhf radio mounted in the trunk. thinking of mounting uhf on the opposite side. or even getting a eyewitness installed

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
havent been taking pics , and i guess you can call it a mobile commo unit. don't need alot of power to get around in the city.

did just get the vhf radio mounted in the trunk. thinking of mounting uhf on the opposite side. or even getting a eyewitness installed

Ahh ok. Is that like shortwave or something? I'm newb to this kinda stuff. What do you use it for mostly? Sounds interesting...

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i am trying to set it up for , vhf/uhf-hi/uhf-low/800mhz tunked-multi agency/800mhz data/all freq receiver. would need to mount the uhf on the opposite side and probably custom a rack to stack the rest and secure it bottom of the trunk.

just trying to figure out the power supply and if id have to rear mount a extra battery

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
well i am trying to set it up for , vhf/uhf-hi/uhf-low/800mhz tunked-multi agency/800mhz data/all freq receiver. would need to mount the uhf on the opposite side and probably custom a rack to stack the rest and secure it bottom of the trunk.

just trying to figure out the power supply and if id have to rear mount a extra battery
Ahhh....I'm thinking you spend a lot of time in your vehicle, eh?

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my other was a ion but it got totalled. the thing about the ion it had a trunk munted battery.

if you look in the avenger. i dont even know ow to get it out, its buried in there good

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
my other was a ion but it got totalled. the thing about the ion it had a trunk munted battery.

if you look in the avenger. i dont even know ow to get it out, its buried in there good
Ya, I have not looked but I wonder if there are battery posts that would be easily accessible? The magnums had a trunk mounted battery as well. I never did get to utilize the nice location for anything though.

I wonder if you could mount a remote tap in the trunk and just run lines up to the battery posts. That way you would have a easy place to hook up in the trunk. I guess the big concern would be current draw and size of the cabling that ran up to the front. May be hard to run heavy gauge wire through the interior, but maybe theres a exterior way to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To access the battery you must remove the left front wheel and the inner fenderwell. Unfortunately Ma Mopar buried the battery and then spent more money to have remote connections. I'd rather have moved the computer but oh well.

·
Registered
542 Posts
its not to hard to run wires in the car, i have a 0 gauge car audio power wire ran you gotta remove the pannel that right under the door and just tuck the wire under the carpet a little they dont leave to much room right under the pannel but if you tuck it back a little , another idea woudl be taking a small 12 volt motorcycle marine battery in the back and just running an 8 guage wire to the back if you are concered about power, and just take the power off the jumper cable spots

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you pull out the drivers seat and rear seat(rear seat is kind of tricky but it will just snap if you tug right in the center. Then un bolt the folding drivers side back to of the seat you will have easy access to the carpet. Pull the carpet out completely and there is an enormous amount of room running in the curvature of the frame down center and there is also a hole in the firewall. Run your wire through that hole in the firewall and then lift your car in the air turn the wheel as far left as you can and you will have easy access to your battery and it makes a very clean install of the power wires. I have a 1/0 gauge that you can't see any indication of.

·
Registered
542 Posts
you dont need to pull the seat out, you can run a 1/0 gauge without seeing it just by tucking it under the one side near the seat, just run all the other cables down the passenger side, that way you dont have road nosie going to your rca's either

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can, but it only takes about one hour to remove the seats and the carpet to hide it. you also have another problem, if you ever want to add more components youve already blocked the side and will have to rewire it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
what all did you dynamatt

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Interesting. Dynamat in the bumper? What is the reason for that? (I'm a newb lol)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts