Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I decided to replace my cv axle on both the driver and passenger side, as it was long over due. I ordered both parts from Rock Auto based on information from a previous thread where another member replaced his drivers side only. The issue I ran into during the install was not the actual work involved but more so the actual replacement part shipped to me -- it was entirely the wrong part.

Not only does the part not match on Rock Auto, but it appears that Auto Zone, Advance Auto, and other major auto parts stores also have the wrong part in stock for SE and SXT models. The only place I could find the correct part was on the Mopar parts online store (over $200) and amazon, from DTA -part number (DTA DC2750 Front Right) $59.

The original axle is nearly twice the length as the item sold by the aforementioned companies.

Make sure your verify that part you are ordering matches the photos of your vehicle model before buying, as I essentially lost an entire day taking my car apart and searching different stores, only to be forced to buy it online.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
If you are talking the right(pass) side, yes be careful when ordering. Some have a 2 piece axle and you only get the outer half. and SOME may have a one piece axle. AND SOME places do carry the complete 2 piece axle WITH center carrier bearing. Best to look at your ride and SEE what you need before ordering from pic's.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are talking the right(pass) side, yes be careful when ordering. Some have a 2 piece axle and you only get the outer half. and SOME may have a one piece axle. AND SOME places do carry the complete 2 piece axle WITH center carrier bearing. Best to look at your ride and SEE what you need before ordering from pic's.
Are the two piece axles better in anyway?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
It was made to TRY and reduce torque steer of higher HP rated motors, hence the center "carrier bearing " of the design. Made the shaft lenghts side to side more or less equal. I had a similar factory setup of this in an old 2.2 turbo LeBaron I once had. IMO if you do just NORMAL driving, you would not notice any difference between the 2 designs. BUT if you like "SPIRITED" launches, you may feel the difference. Also TIRE grip also has a similar effect to the same "torque steer" symptom.

EDIT: NOT sure of interchange ability of the types, PRIMARY concern is stub axle end fitment into trans differential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts