Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Avenger SXT PLUS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again my fellow friends...i hace a broken cv axle on the passenger side. I am eager to get started on this....i have the parts and ready to go ...however there is one lug nut that is completely destroyed at this point. The person removing them clearly didn't know when to stop so needless to say I also have a ton of stripped out sockets...ugh. I'm posting a picture of the lug nut at this point. Its disgusting and yes I know he also damaged my rim but at least it's still intact at this point. I know it doesn't look at all but here it is. How the hell do I remove this now? My budget is low. Im sick at this point.
20210719_154413.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Avenger SXT PLUS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried the 6 point sockets.... And pretty much everything else except for the torch or the Lug Ripper which is extremely costly. A friend mentioned going in thru the back....im not sure how that will help if the lug is stuck....any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I had a similar issue with locking lug nuts. Took it to a tire shop and they got it off using an air chisel to loosen the nut. Shouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I hate to say it.......blow torch........
I had to do this to my kids Neon. I tried everything imaginable to avoid a blow torch and there was no luck. I did manage to blow off the lug nut with minimal damage to the rim. I was able to get the lug nut to melt down enough to use the force of the rim to push the molten metal off and get the rim removed. The final damage when I did this with his stock rim....needed to replace the wheel stud and nut and the clear coat and paint on the aluminum wheel was ruined. Overall I was surprised the rim survived the molten steel hitting it, but because I was focused on the stud and not the lug nut aparently it was enough for the wheel to survive. Granted my situation may be different than yours, but your next step is the blow torch.

Note: I tried drilling, air hammer, lug removal tools, stripped bolt removal tools, every tool you can imagine.....my final result was a blow torch....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before you do anything drastic i’d give a gator grip socket a go, it worked for me a few years back. You can pick one up for about $30 on amazon, even cheaper if you get a knock off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts