Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, when I was researching cars, the Avenger didn't get a lot of love out there from the car mags...But the write up in Comsumer Reports takes the negative cake!!:smiledown:

They tested an Avenger R/T FWD w/leather, moonroof, etc...I'll quote a little bit here...

"Like its near-twin the Chrysler Sebring, the Avenger ranks at the bottom of its class. The Car feels cheap and under-developed. It has a stiff ride, suspension noise, lack of agility, tight quarters, uncomfortable seats, and substandard interior fit and finish."

"The Avenger's ride is stiff and choppy, and bumps send hard, rubbery kicks into the cabin. Abrupt body motions, clunks from the suspension, and body creaks makes the car feel insubstantial."

"Cheap looking plastic, bad fits, and poorly finished edges abound in the Avenger...Overall, the interior was poorly assembled and the look is cheap."

"Many drivers complained about our Avenger's seats, which are firm but poorly shaped with a narrow bottom cushion and seatback. Many of those who took the car on long trips described the seats as painful over time. The rear seat is cramped nd the cushion is too low and hard."

There was really nothing they loved about the car...They said the 3.5 delivers lively performance, but is not as refined as other V6's...Anything they said was good or OK, had a but after...I just believe these car mags are being bought off by the foreign car makers...I know Honda, Nissan, Toyota make good cars, but I was a bit miffed after reading this write up on the Avenger...

Here's the order the cars placed in the Midpriced Family Sedans with their overall road test score
1 Nissan Altima 3.5SE 89
2 Honda Accord EX-L V6 88
3 Toyota Camry XLE V6 87
4 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 86
5 Toyota Camry Hybrid 84
6 Ford Fusion SEL V6 77
7 Mercury Milan Premier V6 77
8 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT 75
9 Saturn Aura XR 3.6 70
10 Mazda6 s V6 69
11 Mitsubishi Gallant GTS V6 64
12 Pontiac G6 V6 58
13 Buick LaCrosse CXL 56
14 Chrysler Sebring Touring V6 48
15 Dodge Avenger R/T 3.5 46

I just found this unbelieveable!! Maybe I'm missing something, but so far I find the Avenger, as we say in Maine, Wicked Good!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
You know what really gets me is they make it seem the Avenger comes in one style or suspension. They'll make it sound as if the SE,SXT or R/T have the gas mileage. Half of them don't get the facts right. If you don't like the ride of one,There's always another to try. We could do better than most of these moron's who probably drive luxury cars everyday and then jump into something else that isn't as fine tuned as Mercedes, etc.
Sure there are some bad riding cars, I just don't trust Consumer reports anymore. They've been wrong a few times. My parents had a few products that were lemons including one car they said was great.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The R/T they test drove is the only model with the stiffer Sport suspension. The AWD comes with the Touring suspension which is smoother, and the suspension on the SE is very good also.

You are correct SueK on the moron's driving luxury cars statement....good call on that one.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That article sounds like they took one 15 minute test drive at the dealer, and then took a synopsis (a poor one at best) of the some internet posters who probably have never driven the car anyways, but rather just hate on it.

I'll admit, I had some similar feelings after the first test drive, but I think I was just more annoyed that a salesperson "had" to go with me on the test drive. I also think you need to spend a little more time in the car to really get a feel for everything.

As to the hondas, toyotas, nissans at the top of the list....whatever. They look like every other car on the road. I'd much rather have my avenger.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That report seams to be very unbelievable. It actually looks as if someone bought off the writers. What a shame. This has been a very nice car for me. And I don't know where they get the idea that it is cramped. Anyone look at how narrow a lot of cars have become!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
k they say the avenger in the back is cramped??? hahah have they ever tryd to put 3 adults in the back of a camry acord or altima l8ly??

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had two good sized adults in the back of my SXT and they loved the room it had in it. I have the two-color leather gray/light gray interior. I'm a pretty good sized dude as well and I'm pretty comfortable in mine.

I subscribe to CR and got that mag last Saturday and was a bit shocked to see how they rated it.

Granted, my SXT has 18 inch tires, ABS, traction control and the touring suspension, so it rides stiff, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it. When I drove it off the lot I was scared out of my mind, but after about 30 miles of driving I settled in to the 'feel' of the car. Other cars took much longer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with everyone...When I read the report, I couldn't believe HOW negative it was toward the Avenger...

Avenger R/T, that is exactly why I was drawn to the Avenger...It didn't look like every cookie cutter car out there...It is unbelievable how similar the Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and now even Hyundai look...

Shadowvenger, I agree...I really thought how could you think the Avenger is THAT bad compared to all the other cars...It has been a great car so far for me...

jugahdor, Yup they say the Avenger is cramped, but:

the Accord is "impressively roomy", yet the Accord has 1" less rear head room, 2" more rear leg room, and 1.5" less rear shoulder room?? Something doesn't add up here...

the Kia Amanti "rear seat is very roomy, even with three adults", yet the Kia only has .5" more rear head room, .5" more rear leg room, .5" more rear shoulder room?? Again, something doesn't add up or the third adult is the size of a small child?

With this kind of bias toward certain cars, I'm guessing other tests are similar...I won't be renewing my subscription...For a mag that touts being unbiased, they showed me their true colors...Good thing I haven't used any of their data to make any decisions!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought my Avenger in December. Why the Avenger? Probably 95% of my decision was based purely on looks, and the other 5% was the lifetime warranty. I really like the "Looks" of the Dodge cars lately. The Charger is awsome and the 300 just kicks azz in style, I also own a 06 Durango. One of the best SUV's on the market, in my opinion.

But really, has anyone on here driven a 2008 Honda Accord? When I was shopping I test drove a 08 Honda Accord, 08 Dodge Avenger, and a 08 Mazda 6. I could not believe the 08 Accord and the Avenger had pretty much the same price tag. Setting "looks" aside, the Accord is twice the car that the avenger is in build and quality. About the same size. But I didn't want a foriegn cookie cutter. That is why I bought the Avenger, knowing and accepting that my Avenger may spend a few more days in the shop than the Accord would have if I bought it. Thats why I bought the extended warranty :)

Love my Avenger!

·
Registered
701 Posts
hey mpdej8, when u test drove the avenger, accord and mazda6 can u tell us the differents in driving in then or were they all teh same?? and were they all the top of their lines??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drove Honda, Toyota and Nissan before choosing the Dodge Avenger. I love it.

I'm not bothered by the harsh words from CR, but can offer these counter-points:

1. If the suspension feels stiff, that's because the R/T has stiffer suspension than the other Avenger trim levels. It's by design, and there are other options for drivers who want a softer suspension "feel."

2. If the seats seem too narrow, perhaps the reviewers need to consider the possibility that their own backsides are too wide.

3. The comments about room are matters of measurable fact, and are incorrectly reported by CR.

Of the entire list, only the Mazda 6 and the Pontiac G6 seem similar to the type of vehicle the R/T is. In fact, those three are the least like "Mid-priced family sedans" of the group, as they are more about performance. No coincidence that all of those three vehicles scored poorly in this roundup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
CR is biased towards foreign cars, so this report should not be a suprise.
I am not buying my Avenger to get mileage, or soft steering, I am buying it because I want a sporty car, that I can throw my wife and kids into.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
CR is biased towards foreign cars, so this report should not be a suprise.
I am not buying my Avenger to get mileage, or soft steering, I am buying it because I want a sporty car, that I can throw my wife and kids into.
Well said. .

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think the big problem with all of these so called "experts" is that they fail to take into account the overall goal of the model they are testing.

The R/T is meant to be sporty. I mean it has dual sway bars and MacPherson struts. Porsche and BMW use the same strut design. It has to be a little harsher ride. When you're being sporty you want a stiffer seat to hold you in place. I'm a bigger guy and i fit fine in the seats.

If i wanted a soft ride I would have brought a non sporty car. If i wanted excellent gas milage, I would have bought an SE or SXT 2.4L.

A lot of people complain about the reliability of American manufacturers. Guess what, that honda/toyota/nissan they are driving was built right here in America. I'm from Indiana which is mostly manufacturing and agriculture. I have a lot of family/friends that work in automotive manufacturing making parts for those cars. In fact, the big word around my home town is a new honda plant opening in the next town over.

I'll put the reliability of my avenger r/t and dakota 4x4 up against any so called "import" vehicles. It's almost pathetic the bad rap these so called consumer magazines are giving dodge (and other american manufacturers) and all for not understanding the design concept/target performance and audience.

I mean, the honda ridgeline the truck of the year? Are you kidding me? I thought a truck was meant to tow and haul. My 02 dakota out tows the 07 ridgeline and can haul almost as much (and i've got a much smaller bed!). I'll put my 02 dakota 4x4 up against the ridgeline in 12" of snow any day.

I filled up yesterday at got 24.4 mpg in my avenger R/T, it's fun to drive and I get a lot of compliments on it from friends and strangers. I'll have to ask my honda/toyota/nissan driving friends when was the last time someone at a drive through window told them they liked their car.

the only downside for many dodge models is lack of aftermarket parts and accessories. I wish I could find something bigger than a 3" lift for my dakota. I hope the aftermarket vendors catch on and make some good parts for the avengers.

- Dan M

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Post, DM. I also think the US companies have taken a knock for quality. It is evident that Chrysler LLC, after divorcing from Daimler, decided to try to break that perception that their product lines were of lesser quality. The new powertrain warranties are the most visible indication of this emphasis.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I bought one because my husband said this what we have to spend,and It has to be a 4 door. Well I searched the internet and I wanted something that looked good. I said"Hum, This is sporty looking and here's the four doors" Then I couldn't find one at the price my husband wanted to pay. Then I wheeled and dealed and finally got one. Well for a while I was depressed like a baby when my husband said maybe we should buy this little car he saw. I said like a baby,"You won't see me drive it" In my mind it wasen't cool I guess. I never bought a new car and I had it in my mind if he was spending money,Get something you feel good driving. So there!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts