Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. and without the acronyms...

Do our Crude Rattly Diesels have a Diesel Particulate Filter fitted..

Looking on the web there seems to be some ambiguity as to what engine and ancilleries we have fitted.

I guess all our cars were built at the same time or in batches no matter when they were registered as this would have made production easier, so i also guess they all have the same, or similar batches of engines from VW. Some sites say they are 8 valve, some say 16 valve, some indicate a DPF and some No DPF

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

Thanks

Wodge

·
Super Italian Moderator
5,164 Posts
What year is your Avenger ? As for CRD Calibers in Italy MY07 had no DPF while the MY08 had DPF (it became mandatory for diesels engine) and you can see it on your VIN, maybe it's the same for Avengers?

From Caliberforumz post from Aleks (UK member)
Engine Code for Dodge Caliber (PM49)

ECD 2.0 CRD
ECE 2.0 CRD with DPF

8th character of your VIN identifies your motor.

A = ECD

T = ECE

Diesel Particle Filters Reduces diesel particles Does not effect the engine performance

Part Number Title Description Variant YearIn YearOut Colour Fitting Time Released

82210520 Diesel Particle Filter SXT SE 2007 2007 N/A 0.5 Yes

(*) Estimated installation time, in hours, for one technician with some installation experience. Time may vary depending upon technician's experience.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Avenger was registered in April09 however i suspect it was built long before that! I think they were imported en mass and sold over the following couple of years!

Eighth character of my VIN is indeed an "A" indicating an ECD engine without DPF by the info you have..

Thanks for that info.. :smileup::smileup::smileup:

Wodge

·
Super Italian Moderator
5,164 Posts
My Avenger was registered in April09 however i suspect it was built long before that! I think they were imported en mass and sold over the following couple of years!
on my Caliber there is a sticker on the interior side of the driver door that indicates when it was built (month and year)
Eighth character of my VIN is indeed an "A" indicating an ECD engine without DPF by the info you have..

Thanks for that info.. :smileup::smileup::smileup:

Wodge
You're welcome :) Hope my infos are good also fo Avengers ... let's wait for some member from the UK to chime in.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And just to make things complicated......

Looking at a picture of the top of my engine, it has the letters BYL on its serial no. label.. This, according to a google search reveals it might be the same engine, but with a DPF! (according to a jeep forum member) Aaaaargh

I will continue this search for the truth another time, but i suspect i will be asking the mechanic at the next service to have a visual check!!

Wodge

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The final peice of the jigsaw

[BSY] = NON-Balance Shaft Engine
[BYL] = Balance Shaft Engine WITHOUT Diesel Particulate Filter
[BWD] = Balance Shaft Engine WITH Diesel Particulate Filter

SORTED!!!

·
Ex Avenger owner...
901 Posts
The UK spec CRD Calibers , Patriots or Avengers were fitted never with DPF's . I belive it was fitted in some Euro markets with a legal requirement ie: Scandinavia & I think Germany.You dont want one anyway , they are prone to gumming up--throwing codes --loss of power & need regular high speed blow outs...

·
Super Italian Moderator
5,164 Posts
I belive it was fitted in some Euro markets with a legal requirement ie: Scandinavia & I think Germany.
..... Italy ;)

almost 3 years old, 40000kms and never had problem with mine ..... so far !

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's some good news for CRD owners without DPF. The original 140hp 2.0 gives an opportunity for high performance tuning if not fitted with DPF -in Finland we have Avengers and Calibes so far without DPF. Local tuning shop (which builds race cars) had one in question tuned up to over 200hp with programming on that engine.

..going to have a 170hp/390NM setup for my engine very soon. Wondering if this 6-speed manual (Aisan BG6) deals any torque over 400NM...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just read from the web site of this tunign shop -they are quite familiar with modern VW diesels and according to their reserch the DPF does affect in performance. It reduces a bit engine power and these engines are not tunable ones in long run. Removal of the DFP gives an engine failure which they can't deal with at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
... removal of the DPF gives just an engine failure code, not a real failure, of course.

(not able to edit my posts, sorry :) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts