Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a 2013 Dodge Avenger SXT. This morning, I got the dreaded P0456 trouble code, which translates to a "Evaporative Emissions System Small Leak Detected".

Looking for where I can find the evaporator canister and the purge solenoid on this vehicle? Of course, I'll start by replacing the gas cap, but I just wanted to know where these other things are located just in case it's not that.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
EVAP Canister should be in the drivers rear corner, underneath and alongside the spare tire well.
Purge valve is in the engine bay low on the firewall next to the ABS block unit
(below and to the left of the Brake Master cylinder/booster area). More common for a line to the canister if the gas cap is OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I too have recently had the P0456 fault code on my 2012 Dodge Avenger which does go away after a day or two, or today actually I was able to have the code cleared oddly enough. I have a theory that it does have to do with the gas cap. I live in Oregon, where firstly, we are not allowed to pump our own gas, so an attendant is always the one replacing the cap. I have purchased a new cap twice, both times succeeding in clearing the fault. Both times I bought the replacement at OReillys auto parts. I notice that I have to push down quite firmly to get a good seal. When screwed on while not pressed down firmly, the gas cap does give the feeling of making an adequate seal, however, I don't believe this to be the case. This is my experiment that I am running before I pull out the big guns with a leak checker:

1) I am making sure that I am always the one to firmly replace the gas cap after vehicle fueling, pressing it down very firmly and twisting until ~ 5 clicks. Should the DTC return, I will:

2) Attempt one more gas cap replacement from another brand / OEM. Should the fault persist/return:

3) Smoke leak check.

I absolutely just want to rule out the gas cap as an issue. When I purchased this vehicle, it had a locking gas cap that was after market which had failed. I was getting both a P0456 and the gascap warning on the instrument cluster. A new cap cleared both faults at that time. Below is a link to the service maual troubleshooting guide for this particular fault as a PDF

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You can also apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the o-ring to help with the seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts