Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm slowing acquiring parts for my AWD/ setup. If it helps anyone believe it or not the Dodge Journey uses the same rear Subframe as the Avenger I attached photos Enjoy !

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense, they're built on basically the same platform.
What do you think would happen if you hooked a electric motor (DC) to one of these rear differentials? Do you know the gear ratio?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
A DC motor may work but it would be very difficult to get the computer to synchronize with it? Can't find any info on the gear ratio anywhere.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A DC motor may work but it would be very difficult to get the computer to synchronize with it? Can't find any info on the gear ratio anywhere.
Well I would make it a redundant system comprising of a simple forward and reverse switch on demand, but I need to find out how much I can safely spin this thing with out blowing it up lol I think the stock is awd was split 60/40 I'm relocating the Gas tank next weekend then I'll get my batteries and DC motor. Also ordered a carrier diff from a 09 Journey From eBay (waiting on that)

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Quite an undertaking you're doing, PLEASE keep us updated as pieces go together in making yours an AWD. There are a lot of "minor" things that I'm curious about like strut mounting and sizing and ABS sensors and such. Also about the fuel tank fitment for the AWD conversion.
We are in process of retiring our Neon and replacing it with an 2011 Journey 3.6 AWD for my son. NY rust gremlins have not been kind to the outer lower edges of the Neon over the past 4 years of my son driving it( and some abuses of it). Found this Journey to be a much better vehicle for him size wise and a 4 grand price able to be "handled" fairly well.
Good luck on your Avenger "project" :)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Well I would make it a redundant system comprising of a simple forward and reverse switch on demand, but I need to find out how much I can safely spin this thing with out blowing it up lol I think the stock is awd was split 60/40 I'm relocating the Gas tank next weekend then I'll get my batteries and DC motor. Also ordered a carrier diff from a 09 Journey From eBay (waiting on that)
Sounds very cool, hope it works out for you:cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well lucky the car is paid off and I don't really drive her that much (I watched a video on YouTube of a awd Pacifica with a broken front ptu diff and the guy swapped out the ptu and swapped some CV axles and dropped the drive shaft and made it fwd so easy) Moral of the story, I can get away with throwing the rear awd subframe on, and run the 3.5 fwd so I can drive to the store to get beer 😁 it's a win win so I had to pull the trigger on this. I'll keep you all updated in a later post maybe in the custom build section so we can help others here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quite an undertaking you're doing, PLEASE keep us updated as pieces go together in making yours an AWD. There are a lot of "minor" things that I'm curious about like strut mounting and sizing and ABS sensors and such. Also about the fuel tank fitment for the AWD conversion.
We are in process of retiring our Neon and replacing it with an 2011 Journey 3.6 AWD for my son. NY rust gremlins have not been kind to the outer lower edges of the Neon over the past 4 years of my son driving it( and some abuses of it). Found this Journey to be a much better vehicle for him size wise and a 4 grand price able to be "handled" fairly well.
Good luck on your Avenger "project" :)
Yeah Journeys are beast vehicles, and the 3.6 paired with awd I can see you stealing it from him most the time 😆 :LOL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts