Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4...when I start it it shuts back off after 30 seconds or so...doesn’t crank at all just fires right up. After about the fourth time it stays running and I don’t have any problems with it...no check engine light. This has been for the last two weeks. The other night I was almost home then the red lightning bolt came on and I lost power. Still no check engine light. Went out two days later got the car started and no red light but the check engine light came on. Drove it to the garage had no problems. Called the garage today to find out if they found something out yet and they said they think it’s something serious...they didn’t specify...so I’m just wondering what does anyone think could be a “serious” problem with it....I never thought to ask what codes they found...sorry

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Welcome to the Forumz, susan. How many miles are on your car? The lightning bolt is a warning light for the electronic throttle body, but there are a few things to check out before just changing an expensive part. Also since the yellow check engine light came on, it would be most helpful if you could get and post the code(s) for us. previous maint. history of what has been done would also help eliminate a few guesses of what could be going on from what you have posted. Looking forward to hearing back from you!:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve only had my car since June of last year...it has 120,000...I know a lot of miles...but I’ve kept up with oil changes and general maintance on it...it runs very well... I don’t use oil or tranny fluid or anything...it doesn’t knock...doesn’t smoke...everything was fine up til two weeks ago...

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
What you have given is quite helpful for all here to start "formulating" thoughts. Once codes from the car can be had, that will really narrow things down!:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
My Guess it sounds like either the Throttle Control Switch is failing (easy fix few bolts and a clip) or the throttle body is on its way out (replace the Throttle Body).

Welcome to the Forum, and as 5rebel9 said jump across and introduce yourself.

Ben :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s what I thought to but would it cause the starting issue I’ve had??? My mechanic thinks my computer is going bad...due to work I didn’t get to talk to him long enough to find out the codes it threw up. But according to him he checked all the codes and they are fine...he said I should take it to a dodge garage but I know that’s gonna cost a lot..I’m wondering if I should just get the programmed computer and just have him change it ???

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
I have no idea of the qualifications of the "shop"you are currently using,. As others have suggested, along with myself, it is probably a dirty or worn out electronic throttle body that caused the lightning bolt to come on in the instrument panel.As for other problems you now state about starting trouble, we all would need a bit more info of what the car is doing from you. I suggest that you find and read the thread ..ETC...Electronic Throttle Control, found on the other vehicle discussion page. It is quite thorough and has pic's to help you understand what it is all about!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so here’s the code they found....P2107...I’ve read that it has to do with my throttle body...so would it be safe to say it needs changed now...

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Yes the throttle body is one of a couple of things that may be the problem, good chance it is due to the mileage on it and all had been running OK before.
Good luck and let us know how the repair goes!:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok so here’s the code they found....P2107...I’ve read that it has to do with my throttle body...so would it be safe to say it needs changed now...
P2017 is a generic code but usually relates to intake manifold control, either the actuator has gone bad (easy replace) or you need to change the whole manifold (harder and more $$$)

Either way the computer should be the last thing your replacing as that big $$$ and usually the car wouldn't start or run at all

Keep us posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P2017 is a generic code but usually relates to intake manifold control, either the actuator has gone bad (easy replace) or you need to change the whole manifold (harder and more $$$)

Either way the computer should be the last thing your replacing as that big $$$ and usually the car wouldn't start or run at all

Keep us posted

My code is P2107....

·
Registered
242 Posts
My code is P2107....
Shouldn't have been foruming when tired and without my glasses o_O.

2107 is easy TB or accelerator, maybe try cleaning the TB and see if that helps it, or just replace them, both are not that expensive.

Keep us posted if this fixes it.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Shouldn't have been foruming when tired and without my glasses o_O.

2107 is easy TB or accelerator, maybe try cleaning the TB and see if that helps it, or just replace them, both are not that expensive.

Keep us posted if this fixes it.

That's OK, we all make mistakes from time to time...Mine is usually from lack of enough COFFEE To "get me going" to engage the "Brain"(?)...LOL:oops::eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to go pick it up from one garage to take it to another and it wouldn’t even stay running this time and no check engine light or anything...it started right up then just would bog down and shit off. So I had the other garage come tow it to theirs now it’s just a waiting game to see what they find and out...I’m a loss for words and very frustrated at this point. ☹

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Went to go pick it up from one garage to take it to another and it wouldn’t even stay running this time and no check engine light or anything...it started right up then just would bog down and shit off. So I had the other garage come tow it to theirs now it’s just a waiting game to see what they find and out...I’m a loss for words and very frustrated at this point. ☹

Please don't be too frustrated at your Avenger over this problem. MANY other makes of cars have just as frustrating problems and worse.
It really is hard on the feelings to try and help people that a ready to "throw the baby out with the bath water" over something that many other vehicles have same trouble with and more.
Something you have NOT posted of about your car is if they have actually given you any results of diagnosis they have done OR any parts being replaced. We can not help much more than we have without any updates, other than it still isn't running right. Hang in there and ASK for updates of what is being tested or done by the new shop! AND please keep us here "in the loop"!:)

EDIT: btw, Where abouts in Pa. are you? I have relatives in the Bloomsburg/ Berwick area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only code it has given is the P2107 that I had posted earlier...I will keep updating as I find out stuff as I would like to help anyone else out that might run into this problem as well....the only thing that was replaced by the previous garage was the battery... he said it was only at 11 volts??? He said it should be more so he put a new one in...I am going to call the other garage that it now is at tomorrow to see if they’ve had time to check anything

1 - 20 of 28 Posts