Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I rolled into work this morning, my 2014 Avenger started to overheat. When I opened the hood, I saw that the coolant filler neck snapped off on one side. I would prefer not to buy the whole assembly with hoses for $75 if possible. Even though it states on many sites that the Dorman 902-305 Coolant Filler Neck won't fit my car, it looks exactly like the part I need. Will it work?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Welcome to the Forumz! I assume you have the 4 cyl. motor? The Dorman part is for older Dakota and Durango models..NOT the Avenger.

It is known that the filler neck is a fairly common part to break on the 4 cylinder(2.4) model avenger Sedans.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Thanks for your response. Do you know what part I would need?
Since posting, I've been searching for the correct part.
I did find the reason that the Dorman part does not work, as it's about an inch taller than what the OE is. Found a posting that says the mounting bracket on the car if bent down about an inch will allow for proper "under hood clearance" to work.
I also found a thread or 2 from here on our Forum of this problem..it was posted as having gone thru Dodge dealer and replacing with OEM part.
I have the old gen Coupe, and it's a totally different car from your Sedan. So my "hands on Knowledge is limited to give you concrete answers...Good luck and I'm sure some other members will post in soon to try and help!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
Is this the part that broke? This is the Gates part from Rock Auto:

DODGE 2014 AVENGER 2.4L L4 Cooling System Coolant Hose Connector / Flange

GATES CO34818 {#4884571AB} Coolant Outlet Info

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8759596&cc=3300383&jsn=8

CAD$7.70

The Dorman part is
902-316

from what I gather, and from the fact that the OP says the Dorman #902 - 305 looks just like it, that it's the hose connector WITH the radiator cap neck unit. and actual other brands like the Gates #32948K1, which is the both side hoses and cap filler neck in 1 assembly. But the OP was hoping to just get away with the posted Dorman part and clamping the upper hose to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine bursted right after turning my car off. Heard a very loud pop and opened the door to a big red puddle. I had thought my transmission went out lol.

Those plastic filler necks and garbage! Any plastic part on a cooling system is, because plastic becomes brittle when introduced to hot and cold cycles.

I searched everywhere for a new one to no avail, ended up buying the full hose kit for $75 at O'Reillys. I plan on fitting a metal one, for longevity sake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AGH! Just fell victim to this last night at 1 am 3 miles from my house haha. Plan on replacing the t filler and hoses, but should I be worried about any bits of plastic from the T filler making its way further into the cooling system? Or just slap the new hoses on and I should be ok?

·
Registered
2.2 Daytona Shelby z 2.4 2014 dodge avenger
38 Posts
Dud thank you for your post I broke down 8 miles from work wound up being so late it was after close .but me my girl and 2 dogs live in this car so we have been stuck waiting on a paycheck called auto parts store within 10 miles nun had advenger parts so I went searching . .found ur post and called the closest store and boom a hit 6 in stock. .
Very good post bro.
I wander how many more things like this swap over. .
U litterly saved us from this Florida heat in Bradenton

1 - 14 of 14 Posts