Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Avenger 2.0
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a '96 Avenger Coupe for cheap. The fellow had replaced quite a bit of stuff, including CV axles. He warned that the output shaft seal leaked, among other issues. Visual inspection revealed the axle wasn't deep enough inside the differential by about 3/4 inch to even make contact with the seal. The new CV axle that arrived from Rock Auto today was the same as what I took out. Went back to the fellow and pulled what he thought was the original shaft out of the scrap heap. It had 34 splines and a shorter differential stub. Both the axle I removed and the brand new one had 25 splines on a longer stub. Rock Auto doesn't even list left-side axles with 34 splines for Avengers of that era.

Adding to the mystery, the compendium of Dodge/Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Diamond Star Motors and Kokomo transmissions, with great foresight, used identification stickers that become substantially illegible after a few years. As near as I can tell from the tags, the Engine is 420A, as expected. Trans looks like E4ACI. The Kokomo Transmission tag is ?-216-.2662-????. Can anyone interpret those codes?
96 Avenger Driver CV Axle.png


Update: Confirmed that the differential has 25 splines, so the shaft we pulled out of the scrap pile was from a different vehicle. :rolleyes:

Measuring the axle shaft and the differential indicated there should be 2 mm clearance between the 40 mm cylinder and the back of the seal cavity when the end of the axle touches the pinion shaft. It SHOULD fit!
Axle Fit2.png

Early on, I had simply pushed as hard as I could to seat the shaft, had used the axle as a slide hammer a little to try to get it to seat, and even used a sledge hammer on a block of wood as hard as I dared trying to get it seated, but it never went in far enough to seat the seal. I bought the new CV axle thinking the one in there must have been the wrong one. So now, inspection of the splines in the differential reveal no significant flaws, but the splines on the shaft were a little buggered from the few miles driven while only partly inserted. --- Took the circlip off the shaft, removed the burrs, and tried the fit without the circlip. It was still too tight - went into the bearing about a half inch and quit. Suspecting there may be an out-of-tolerance interference fit but not yet wanting to open the differential case to try the fit of bearing and splines separately, I put the shaft in the deep freeze and a heat lamp on the differential and let them soak for a couple hours. It didn't make any difference.
ColdShaft.png

The next step will be to remove the bearing for further investigation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,524 Posts
Thanks for sharing, best of luck!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top