Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am yet again annoyed by another silly fault. Every single month something goes wrong with my Avenger. So this week's issue is I believe there is a fault with the interlock within the door lock mech that I have to figure out. However the biggest issue is getting the bloody door open. I. A single dad with no money and require someone's help. I cannot afford the £400 overpriced quote to break I to my car. So I need someone to pm me so I can figure out how to get this bloody door open and new lock mech fitted. I've tried to remove panel from the inside but not enough room. So basically I am despirate amd need this sorted as my children seem to think is getting a bit silly that I have to exit via the passenger door all the time.

Many thanks

James

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Can you at least verify if it is the lock mechanism or actual door handle portion that's not working? If you can remove the master switch on the elbow rest of the door panel, perhaps a bad driver door lock switch contact and maybe temporarily swap it's connection to another switch plug to pop the lock on the drivers door? BUT then again if it were the power lock...using the key in the outside door lock would unlock the door over a power failure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the interlock like a deadbolt electrically that is the issue. But other have sait very happy car dealers will charge £400to open door. That's all I need is the get door panel off so I can open door from inside so I can replace whole lock unit. There is some myth about hitting interlock with 24v and it will unjam the mech and open. But all i need it to know how to get the door open when it's in a closed state without the lock working. My car has been left open for 2 weeks now as the interlock kicks off the alarm. So it's a very frustrating situation including the fact I'm fighinh for more time with my children. I just don't need this I need a kind person to tell how to get this panel off.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
No fun at all. Here is a link to removing an Avenger door panel, it's the passenger side but shows you the basics. The worst case scenario to get at the door panel would be to pull out the driver's seat. Once you get the panel off you'll be able to see what's happening.

Another video showing driver's side assembly:

Reactions: 5rebel9

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much but I cannot get door open and the panels will not move even with door seal removed. Again it's just another thing gone wrong month after month. Has anyone managed to actually remove a door panel while closed!

Thanks for kind help again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK brute force and pand half off. I have removed rubber cover to dor mech what do I have to move yo end thus nightmare

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the worst car ever. Put together like shot and no way to actually fix stuff without going to dealer please some one out there help me. I can see into tht dor mech where the cable actuator for the door goes in what do I have to move to get the lock to actuate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on everyone throw me a bone here. I'm mins away from taking a hammer to this car and torching it it's that frustrating.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly no one out there knows the working of the lock. I cannot believe this now this care has been knightmare after nightmare.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please some one help me. I'm in fucking tears here and I can't take my kids out tomorrow with the precious time I have with them please please please help me.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
I'm sorry, was called away for a family problem to respond. I'm not an owner of the Sedan model, but been around enough to know that there is NO QUICK EASY WAY to remove the door panel or latch in the doorjamb when the door is stuck closed. Member Intrepid also so stated the same....Why would you think such a high price quote from a garage???
We don't know for sure just what has failed, whether the part itself or electrical loss of power to operate the LOCK. As the handle part is mechanical operation. So 3 different things are in question to be able to help you...Calm heads make better progress than going into a "tizzy"...Good Luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you rebel. OK I'll make it simble I have no way of paying for mechanic. I depend highly on car for my children and if I cannot use my car then my Ex makes life very hard for myself. So please underdtand and with the greatest respect this is not just about a lock. Apologies for the tizzy. There is a dead locking system withing the lock it self that actuated a secondary lock so it prevents people for simply sliding a blade in and pulling the manual lock pin up. It is that part that has failed and it cannot re engage the main locking system. So in short the engagement bar that is pulled by the door pull is no longer linked to the lock its self any more. It seems to be a common issue. And Dogde dealers charge for it quoting we have means and way to open the door. Now there has to be a manual button or lever to override the electrical interlock otherwise there would be no possible way to get I to car if this ever happened no I can't imagine Dodge would be that stupid. Rebel I am very thankful for your time. I am constantly frustrated by this shit car like I said every month something goes wrong. If I cannot fix this door I cannot use car anymore because if we were in an accident this automatic door open prompt would not work and I would possible have no way to help my children if I needed too. All I need is someone with knowledge to tell me what to do.

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Well, as I've never heard of applying 24v to anything 12v powered to make something work, that I can't be of any further help to try and offer. Believe me, you've made your point of fear for your children quite clear...but we have no way to help on that issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The single most inportant thing to me right now are my children and I will be losing them. I've give all the info I know. There is no logical reason for this not to work or at least a fail safe. Yet these fucking mechanics at dealers have means and ways to resolve problems but with no money I'm fucked. So much for forums hey. Have a good one Rebel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get your car fixed ?
My car is falling apart too lol same thing happened to me got stuck in my car lock wouldn't release. I just pulled the handle real hard haha and now my door won't shut. And handle is stuck open. Since I have door open I rememoved door panel and looked at problem my problem lies with in the actual door latch the little slider gets wedged up and u have to work it down the problem is now my door won't unlock and I dont have a key slot in passenger door ...... progress i think a spring fell off somewhere need to investigate

·
Registered
3 Posts
problem solved just kept working the door handle and the lock (the part that goes up and down when u lock and unlock the car) applied a small amount of lithuim grease to mechinism and presto door works fine.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Nice, good to hear you were able to do the repair yourself. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts