Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took some ideas from some of you around here, and since there is not a relay or anything else to turn the DRL's off, I made a simple schematic that you can follow to remove those silly DRL's.

By using this schematic, you will also take care of the blinking light that happens when you use your blinker. I ran the wire for the switch through the firewall and placed the switch in the center console under the hazard lights. I will get some pictures as soon as I can, but what I like about this installation is that it is not noticeable to the eye. No one will know about it unless I tell them. I did run power to the light as it was a lighted switch, but a terminal broke loose, so there is no indication as to when the switch is in the on position. I hope this helps some of you that were thinking about your DRL's. PM me if you have any questions.

Pictures coming soon... Tonight hopefully.

Attachments

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
But Sphinx, driving with headlights or DRL on is for safety. Why would you want to disable them? Besides, I think cars look sharper with the lights on...

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But Sphinx, driving with headlights or DRL on is for safety. Why would you want to disable them? Besides, I think cars look sharper with the lights on...
I drive with my parking lights on, so that is why i disabled them... I have a switch so I can use them as well...:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
crazy, i know some places in Canada it's illigal to drive with parking lights on, as they are amber and meant to be used as hazards/parking indication, so basically on a non-moving vehicle. friend of mine actually got a 75$ ticket for driving with just parking lights on. so for anyone thinking of doing this, check with the cops first as you could end up out some $$$.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah, kinda worded that goofy, flashing hazards are slow moving/caution(or broken down on side of road), just parking lights should be a non-moving.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rhonda... The system is set up to turn that light off since it is directly above the amber turn signal... it only does this so the amber light is more visible to on coming traffic... The high beams are computer controlled, so by linking the two hot wires together you are sending constant power to both lights regardless of which blinker you apply. I hope that helps.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Rhonda... The system is set up to turn that light off since it is directly above the amber turn signal... it only does this so the amber light is more visible to on coming traffic... The high beams are computer controlled, so by linking the two hot wires together you are sending constant power to both lights regardless of which blinker you apply. I hope that helps.
Yep, thanks. But you might want to look at my user name ... again.:wow:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this problem unique with a given model? I actually haven't checked this with mine, but I have noticed when sometimes fully engaging and Disengaging my turning signals, it'll still blink for a few seconds before coming off. Or sometimes its like the neutral point (The point at which both left & right blinkers aren't on) dissappears. So now I'm in traffic trying to figure out why the damned things bugging out.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will only see this happen if you have the Day time running lights... I hope that is what you were asking about...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering where you spliced the line to add the switch?

btw ... nice work on all your mods!

Thanks, and oh, happy belated b-day!

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you look at this image, you will see a break in the wire right below the left hand bulb. That is where the switch is wired in. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
errr.. messing with the CanBus is not good news.. besides, you can go to your dealer and have them turn it off.. they shouldn't charge you too much it only takes 5 minutes. (usually if you get an oil change done they'll just have the tech do it while they have the car with no charge to you)

·
Registered
6 Posts
errr.. messing with the CanBus is not good news.. besides, you can go to your dealer and have them turn it off.. they shouldn't charge you too much it only takes 5 minutes. (usually if you get an oil change done they'll just have the tech do it while they have the car with no charge to you)
Yeah, I asked and they told me that it can't be done? So I dunno... About to give up. I'll figure something out. :4-dontknow:

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
cut

Yeah, I asked and they told me that it can't be done? So I dunno... About to give up. I'll figure something out. :4-dontknow:

Thanks for the reply's
Just remove the lightbulb, that should fix it:gy:

Seriously Sphinx seems to have figured this out.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for the reply's
Your dealer CANNOT turn them off. I have already been through that excersise. That is why I came up with this solution. I have a family member that works at a dealer as a mechanic. He brought the starscan over and we sat there for about an hour trying to find a way to turn that off. There is a switch to turn it on, but once it is on, there is no going back. :wow:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
yeah under misc functions enable drl is the same way to turn it back off. just go through the enable drl part again and it should say click continue to turn enable drl to disabled or something to that effect. i've done it a few a times (never on an avenger, but on other cars.) unless they changed the programming. if i get a chance today i'll play with it on the wiTech

1 - 20 of 38 Posts