Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,I know the dealer can disable the DVD player totally, even when the vehicle is in park. What I want to know is has anybody figured out how to let the DVD player play whenever you want?

Now THAT would be the ticket!!!:smiley_thumbs_up:

maskedavenger

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I don't think it is possible. We talked about it here, and it was said the the maker of the radio can disable it, but they are not allowing that software out. For now, there is a company that makes a bypass that will allow you to watch DVD's while the car is moving, but with a price tag of almost $300 it seems like not too many people would want to perform this mod...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do a google search for mygig dvd or upgrades. I found a device that plugged into the wiring harness in back of radio. It was around $249. But it would let you watch video all tfime, it unlocked some other features too, however I cannot remember what that was now. They actually had a video demonstration on there website. If I can find it i'll post the web address to it.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
well, I don't think you can post the website... I think googling it is the best advice you can give. I actually think there already is a link to it somewhere here in the forum now that I think of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some quick background on myself. I work at a Best Buy here in CT, and as most of you know, Best Buy has a mobile entertainment department. Within that department is a car installation segment that deals mostly with car stereos and what not. However, our particular mobile bay has some of the best installers that work for best buy in there, proven by the amount of banners they've won from the store for their work and performance. For a price, I've seen them redo an entire system in a Scion TC complete with fiberglassing and and carpeting in the back, and it looked beautiful. Anyway, that out of the way, it wasn't meant as advertising, but I had them looking at my car for about 10 hours while I was working one day, and they tried every way they could think of to bypass the MyGig. Truly, I don't wish to bypass it for myself. I'm a bad enough--er, I mean I'm a great driver-- as it is without needing the distraction of watching while driving. However, I take a lot of road trips and drive a lot with other people in the car. I'd like to bypass it so they can watch movies or dvds while the car is in motion so I don't need to drop another couple grand for the sake of getting a full mount for my portable dvd player, etc, etc. My guys have bypassed stuff like the Avic D-3 before, but they could not bypass the MyGig. So...after all I wrote, the basic moral undertone of my story is that I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've had some of the best look at it, and they told me that as of right now, the only thing I could do is buy that mod for 300 bucks. I'll hold off on that in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Check out the other MyGig threads in this forum for more info. The long and short of it is, you would have to be a engineer working for harmon becker that had the knowledge of how to do it, it can be done. But its software based, so you can stop messing with hardware right now. Other than that, the item that plugs into the back of it that you can buy may work but I don't know of any that have tryed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
one of my cousins has bought a device to do this on his avenger. it works fine. was like 250 as stated above.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
But its software based, so you can stop messing with hardware right now.
While there is a software part to the equation, the software gets the 'ok to play' signal based on the position of the shift lever through an electrical connection. So the connector makes sense - even though it seems overpriced.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
While there is a software part to the equation, the software gets the 'ok to play' signal based on the position of the shift lever through an electrical connection. So the connector makes sense - even though it seems overpriced.

This would be true, except it also recieves speed and position signals as well. This is why when you slow to a stop you can input destination information on the unit, but as soon as you move, it senses the speed and / or position or motion (im not exactly sure on this) and disables the inputing until you come to a stop again.

I understand most aftermarket systems are set up in a way it just senses the position of the shift lever. However, this unit is a bit more complicated than that. If it wasn't, we would all know how to do it by now hehe. :)

Plus I have personally spoken with the head of engineering at Harmon Becker and this was his explanation to me. I suppose he could have been bs'ing me. But he was sitting in the car next to me and didn't seem to be bs'ing...I can usually pick that out! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
This would be true, except it also recieves speed and position signals as well. This is why when you slow to a stop you can input destination information on the unit, but as soon as you move, it senses the speed and / or position or motion (im not exactly sure on this) and disables the inputing until you come to a stop again.

I understand most aftermarket systems are set up in a way it just senses the position of the shift lever. However, this unit is a bit more complicated than that. If it wasn't, we would all know how to do it by now hehe. :)

Plus I have personally spoken with the head of engineering at Harmon Becker and this was his explanation to me. I suppose he could have been bs'ing me. But he was sitting in the car next to me and didn't seem to be bs'ing...I can usually pick that out! :)
Do a google search on mygig lockpick. It enables pretty much every thing on the radio regardless of whether you are moving or not. It even adds some things you cant get as an option right now such as a backup camera etc. Heck they even will sell you a connector so you can plug in a video ipod, video game etc since the VES is activated with their fix as well.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Do a google search on mygig lockpick. It enables pretty much every thing on the radio regardless of whether you are moving or not. It even adds some things you cant get as an option right now such as a backup camera etc. Heck they even will sell you a connector so you can plug in a video ipod, video game etc since the VES is activated with their fix as well.

I've read all about it, even before you posted. If you look, its not just a different way of routing the wires or bypassing a parking switch. Its a seperate module used to defeat the system or supply whats necessary to the rest of the can-bus to think its not moving or whatever (I'm not sure how they do it). My point is, if it was just a harness that routed wires differently or bypassed something, people would have already figured this out. Especially if they paid a bunch of money to a company to find that out. So it can't just be that.

As for the lockpick thing, I'm still waiting for someone to try it (and for it to fit into my budget). I've gone 8500 miles so far without the need to play dvd's while driving, so I figure I have time to wait. hehe

·
Registered
43 Posts
I read on another Dodge forum the lock pick does work. It is plug and play and comes with a module with dip switches on it. This is what turns other applications on/off. Based on what i've read it is well worth the $300. Looking to get it soon.. PM me fr the link.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey, with my aftermarket radio I just grounded the park sensor. Maybe you can ground the mygig park sensor too?

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Not that easy. It actually reads a signal from the CAN Bus. That is why you need to lock pick. If it were that easy, nobody would get away with selling a switch that sends a signal to ground for $300.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I read on another Dodge forum the lock pick does work. It is plug and play and comes with a module with dip switches on it. This is what turns other applications on/off. Based on what i've read it is well worth the $300. Looking to get it soon.. PM me fr the link.

Glad to hear others have tryed it! Let us knwo when you get it what you think! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts