Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently to the auto parts store to buy some spark plugs for my 2012 dodge avenger sxt 2.4L and one of the questions asked was do I have an edg or ed3. Well I found no info on my car about that. I tried finding the info on google and didnt get a straight answer. Can some one please explain to me how to determin what I have. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Never heard of those designations. The plugs are pretty easy to get to. Pull one out and purchase using the part number rather than the car model...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I believe the EDG ED3 sales codes refers to whether the car has the regular 2.4 or the PZEV 2.4 engine. The emissions sticker under the hood MIGHT shed some light on which you have, otherwise you can email Dodge and ask for the build sheet that lists all the sales codes the car came with when it rolled out of the factory.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I believe the EDG ED3 sales codes refers to whether the car has the regular 2.4 or the PZEV 2.4 engine. The emissions sticker under the hood MIGHT shed some light on which you have, otherwise you can email Dodge and ask for the build sheet that lists all the sales codes the car came with when it rolled out of the factory.
Which would take exponentially longer than just taking a plug out and looking at it... Wish that stuff was just listed somewhere to take all of the leg work out of maintenance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
EDG or ED3

I had the same problem on my 2011. EDG and ED3 are the option numbers for the 2.4L DOHC VVT engines. EDG is for the PZEV (partial zero emissions vehicle) and ED3 is for the regular emissions setup. Plugs are the same for both for my 2011 year, but the gap is different at .035 for EDG and .050 for ED3 (big difference!). You can tell if your car is a PZEV version by looking at the emissions sticker under the hood.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this on a Yahoo board:

To tell which engine you have look at the 8th character of your Vehicle Identification Number:

K = 2.4L 4 Cyl. 16V DOHC VVT Gasoline, SALES CODE (ED3)
J = 2.4L I4 Cyl. DUAL VVT PZEV GASOLINE, SALES CODE (EDG)

Lisa
Customer Care
Chrysler Group LLC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found this on a Yahoo board:

To tell which engine you have look at the 8th character of your Vehicle Identification Number:

K = 2.4L 4 Cyl. 16V DOHC VVT Gasoline, SALES CODE (ED3)
J = 2.4L I4 Cyl. DUAL VVT PZEV GASOLINE, SALES CODE (EDG)

Lisa
Customer Care
Chrysler Group LLC
Need help please...the 8th character in my VIN # is B and the hood I think must have been replaced prior to me purchasing the car and does not have an emissions sticker. I need to identify whether I have an ED3 or EDG.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Looked up a used avenger for sale with the PZEV motor and the 8th digit of VIN was a B . Also the engine emission sticker should be next to the hood latch at grill support .

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to revive a long-dead thread, but since this is the top-thread when I Googled for identifying which engine my 2013 2.4L Avenger has - I wanted to add how I easily found the answer. Dodge has an equipment listing website where you enter your VIN and it tells you what the factory build was:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

For an ED3 (non-PZEV) you will see these two lines:

2.4L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine
Federal Emissions

For an EDG (PZEV) engine you will see these two lines:

2.4L I4 PZEV 16V Dual VVT Engine
California Emissions

Hopefully this saves someone else some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts