Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase this vehicle late last fall. It's a 2010 SXT. 2.4L 4 cyl. Weird things have been happening, the check engine light goes on, but doesn't stay on all the time. When I was driving it suddenly the rpm shot way making the engine race up even though I was going about 50. Then it stopped after a couple of minutes. Don't have any idea what caused it. Checked my transmission oil, it was okay.

When I start the car I get a display that the oil is hot, and change the oil, even though the oil has been change. And I notice if I don't wait for the display to go back to normal and start driving it increases the chance of the rpm going up for a minute or two then back to normal. I've have my inside light coming on when I used my turn signal. That was really weird.

I was driving with the cruise control on, the all of a sudden it stopped working. I tried turning off the engine and restarted it to see if the cruise would work again, but it would not. A few days later I drove it and the cruise was working again. Sometimes the right front window won't roll down, I have to keep working the button to get it to roll .

At one time when I didn't drive the car for a few days the battery would go dead. I took it to my mechanic and let it sit for a few days, but it started for him. I am having all these things happening, but am unable to find a solution to what is causing it. This one is a real head scratcher.

My mechanic replaced the battery and the battery post, but no change ... sometime it would not show any problems then suddenly it will. I drove it to the store after getting it back from the shop, the cruise control was out again ... when I came out of the store it would not start. It acted like it was not getting any fuel. I had to try several times to get it started and the engine ran rough. The check engine light was flashing ... there was a red electrical icon in the display too. When I got home it kept stalling on me. I let it sit for a while and it started no problem. I could really use some input from a trouble shooting expert. I need something to go on so I can have my mechanic fix it.
If anyone can help with this please post.

Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Have you checked for cel codes? That would be a good starting point. Just a couple of notes, your cruise won't work if the cel is on and the red icon is an issue with the throttle body. With so many wierd issues it seems to point to your TIPM. Disconnect your negative terminal at the jump point. then pull out your TIPM and check all connections coming in on the bottom for any corrosion. This is a common problem. Your car is 10 years old and things start breaking down especially if you have higher mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for posting ... I will give that information to my mechanic when I take the car in Monday.(y):geek:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You're very welcome, best of luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Disconnect your negative terminal at the jump point. then pull out your TIPM and check all connections coming in on the bottom for any corrosion.
I would also suggest checking the ground point for corrosion.

Intrepid, regarding removing the TIPM, Your post makes it sound pretty easy, is it?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I would also suggest checking the ground point for corrosion.

Intrepid, regarding removing the TIPM, Your post makes it sound pretty easy, is it?
Yes it's fairly easy:

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Release the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) cover retaining clips and open the TIPM cover (1).
  3. Depress the mounting clips (2) to disengage and remove the TIPM housing (3) from its mounting bracket.

1. Access the bottom of the TIPM.
  2. Remove the TIPM B+ cable retainer (1).
  3. Remove the B+ cable (2) from the TIPM stud (3).
  4. Disconnect the harness connectors from the bottom of the TIPM.
  5. Remove the TIPM from the vehicle.

Reactions: dodj

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks intrepid. That looks pretty do-able. Because I have read so many posts on corroded tipm connectors, I think I'll remove mine for R'n'R and hopefully prevent some future problems. Are the connectors usually coated with some dielectric grease?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
No, but it is a good idea to do it when you have it apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wellsir ... I'm in trouble ... I took the car to my mechanic and they could not find the problem after having it for a month. I had to take it to the dealer and guess what ... after a week of having the car ...THEY CAN'T FIND THE PROBLEM.:oops::eek:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that, especially if the mechanic and the dealer can't locate the issue. They have all of the test equipment at their disposal:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know!o_O I don't know what I will do. They said they are still looking into it, but so far it is a mystery. :confused:😒

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Did you ever pull and check the TIPM?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes ... It was the problem ... it has to be replaced. I had to go to the dealer for the part. It cost me $1,639.00 total, and the car still has to have a wheel sensor replaced so I can have cruise control again.:rolleyes::confused:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted, too bad about the big bill from the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know ... hopefully after I get the wheel sensor fixed I won't have any more problems with it. Thanks for all your help. You were right about the problem.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You're very welcome, glad I could help a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wellsir ... I have to take it all back.😕 I was driving the car around to see how it would do and the same problem happen. $1639.00 later and nothing has change. I guess it wasn't the TIPM. I have to contact the dealer on Monday and make arrangements for them to take the car back.😷🙄

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wellsir ... the car has been sitting at the dealers for a week now. Nothing has been done. They are short handed, at least that is what they told me. So I am still waiting to see what they will do. I did give them video of when the car started acting up, hopefully it will help when they do finally get around to check the car.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
What a pain, sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm sure they'll sort it out for you when they get a chance:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts