Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. So lately, i have been have a strange issue happen. As of a couple of days ago, when i start my car in the morning (2008 dodge avenger), i get the lightning bolt between inverted bracket light on. i have significant loss of power. hardly any throttle response. car will not exceed 30 mph. after i shut the car down for a couple of minutes and restart, the problem goes away (95% of the time). sometime i have to let the car run for a few minutes then shut it off. after that, the car with run perfectly fine for the remainder of the day. this only happens in the morning after the car has been sitting for several hours. i would really like to get this fixed before it becomes a major issue to where the car wont run at all. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Are you able to find out what the error code is, do you have an OBD reader?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take it to autozone to have it checked. although i do not remember the codes. i do remember the descriptions. one was misfire cylinder 1 and the other was something about the throttle being stuck open. something along those lines. id have to go back to get the actual codes. i took off the throttle body and cleaned it. it was pretty nasty. going to wait until morning to see if that fixed the issue. i did notice however, that the throttle valve was slightly open. just a sliver. not sure if thats normal or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i went out and turned on the car, and its still doing the same thing. that was after removing the throttle bottle, spraying it down with throttle body cleaner, scrubbing all the thick dry crude and reinstalling it. So i dont believe it is the throttle valve itself thats causing the issue. maybe the whole throttle body itself? a sensor? idk what to do at this point. dont want to dish out the money for a new throttle until i have tried all the simpler steps

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I would start by changing out the spark plugs and run some Seafoam thru the gas tank. See how that goes, also change out the PCV valve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
question. do you think that maybe a bad battery or a battery with too low of cold cranking amps might cause this sort of issue? lately its been getting around 40 degrees overnight. sitting in the cold for 8+ hours. maybe the cranking amps arent enough to start it properly. and once the car is warmed up, its able to start just fine?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
How old is your battery? If anywhere between 3-5 years it definitely needs testing if not replacement. If you do replace make sure to get the one with the most cold cranking amps available, 650 I believe. 525 is stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im hoping that may fix the issue im having. i went to start it this morning. its pretty warm out. its still did it, but seemed to warm up a lot faster. usually i have to wait about 5 minutes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds similar to my problem. It was the throttle body. I started a thread around here somewhere.
I also tried the battery first. If you have a suspect electronic problem, I doesn't hurt to change the battery. (It doesn't hurt too much)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts