Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove to Klamath Falls, OR in ur 08 Avenger R/T AWD. No problems. Today, wife drove to store from hotel, said that the car made a funny "whirring" sound when she started it, but as she continued out of the parking lot, the sound stopped. She went to the store, but on the way back, she said that it made the same "whirring" sound all the way back to the hotel, and when she pulled into the parking spot, all the warning lights came on, and that she thought she smelled something burning. She shut the car off, came up to the room and told me what happened. I went downstairs, and my key fob would not unlock the car. I used the key and unlocked the driver side door, and everything electrical was totally dead. I was able to get into the trunk and get a small tool bag with some pliers, and a DVM. I opened the hood, and measured across the battery connections next to the fusebox, and the battery showed 2.2V - way wrong! I disconnected the ground side of the battery and measured it separately, and the voltage showed about 9.5 volts, and it was slowly moving up. I them measured the resistance across the main battery connections on the car (wiht the battery ground wire still disconnected) and got a reading of .5 ohm - waaaay too low. It appears that there is a dead short in the wiring somewhere, but where? Any ideas? I will probably end up having to have it towed to the dealer, but if anyone sees this soon, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to take a closer look after it has cooled down a bit & see If I can find anything of significance.

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
OUCH!!
Seems the worst things happen away from home. From description it sounds like either the starter stayed engaged or the alternator went BIG time bad. Hope it did not damage wiring harness in the process. Hope you can get it going again without it costing too many "limbs". Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5rebel9, here is what I posted on Facebook today. We certainly had some favor from God on this one:
"We were out of town, and Christy took the car to the store to pick up a few items. When she got back, she said that the car had made a strange whirring noise, and then all the dash lights went on. She had turned off the key and came up to tell me, so I went down to see what was wrong. I found that nothing electrical on the car was working, not even the key remote. Fortunately, the car has an old-fashioned manual key on the driver side, so I got in, popped the hood, got my voltmeter and checked the battery posts. Yikes! 2.23 volts! I disconnected the battery ground wire, and found that the battery itself started to recover a bit, so I then measured the resistance across the battery cables (with the battery still disconnected, of course!) and measured .5 ohm - basically a short circuit. I didn't see any evidence of burning wires, and no fuses appeared to be bad, so I started thinking - what is left? Starter motor and alternator. I pulled the main wire from the alternator and - no more short on the battery wires! The alternator itself showed a direct short circuit, so likely the diode bridge had failed. So, I ordered a reman alternator from the local O'Reilly's (thanks, Robbie!) and got some tools from a local store. However, when I went to remove the old alternator, I found that I had nothing to relax the belt tensioner. By this time it was late and dark, so I figured I'd get on it in the morning, when I picked up the replacement alternator. I started looking for some way to jury-rig a way to move the tensioner, but nothing worked, so I prayed for favor and wisdom, as I have found that God very often finds ways to give direction when we are in need. I went to O'Reilly's, and when I was talking with Robbie, the manager, he offered to look & see what kind of tensioner the car had, to see if he might have a way to work with it. As we looked at the picture, it was clear what kind the tensioner was, and he pulled out a long box that turned out to be a rentable tensioner tool! And, if we brought it back right away, the rental was free! We got back to the car, found the right crow's-foot end to fit the tensioner, and got the old alternator out and the new one in. Now, I was fairly sure that the battery would not have much power left after that hard short circuit, but I thought, "Let's see how much favor God has given us", turned the key, and the car fired right up! Praise God for His kindness!"

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
The Lord does work in mysterious ways for sure! Glad that all went as well as they did. Now try to enjoy the rest of your trip and do not try HIS patience any further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts