We drove to Klamath Falls, OR in ur 08 Avenger R/T AWD. No problems. Today, wife drove to store from hotel, said that the car made a funny "whirring" sound when she started it, but as she continued out of the parking lot, the sound stopped. She went to the store, but on the way back, she said that it made the same "whirring" sound all the way back to the hotel, and when she pulled into the parking spot, all the warning lights came on, and that she thought she smelled something burning. She shut the car off, came up to the room and told me what happened. I went downstairs, and my key fob would not unlock the car. I used the key and unlocked the driver side door, and everything electrical was totally dead. I was able to get into the trunk and get a small tool bag with some pliers, and a DVM. I opened the hood, and measured across the battery connections next to the fusebox, and the battery showed 2.2V - way wrong! I disconnected the ground side of the battery and measured it separately, and the voltage showed about 9.5 volts, and it was slowly moving up. I them measured the resistance across the main battery connections on the car (wiht the battery ground wire still disconnected) and got a reading of .5 ohm - waaaay too low. It appears that there is a dead short in the wiring somewhere, but where? Any ideas? I will probably end up having to have it towed to the dealer, but if anyone sees this soon, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to take a closer look after it has cooled down a bit & see If I can find anything of significance.