Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I purchased an 08 Avenger R/T a few months ago and am new to this site. I have been searching the internet trying to determine if the problem I am having with my Avenger common and I came accross this site. It looks like there is a lot of good information here so hopefully someone can help with this!!! The problem I am having is a cold start issue. On mid to hard acceleration, the engine surges VERY bad as if I am pumping the gas. This is still present when the engine warms up but is not as bad. I took it to the dealer several times where they reflashed the computer and test drove several times. My last visit was this past Tuesday and I took the tech. on a drive and duplicated the problem. We drove another Avenger R/T which did the same thing. The tech could not believe how bad this was and advised he had not heard of any complaints of this. He checked for TSB'S or any info that Chrysler was aware of the problem but no luck. As of now there is no fix for this and I am curious if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so, did the dealership correct it? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated!! Thank you

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Have the dealership check out the electronic throttle control. You may need the APPS/PEDAL ASSY replaced. I had it replaced on my R/T and it took care of the problem. I had the same problem you are going through.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you don't mind my asking you both, after how many miles did you experience this? I also own a rt, and wondering if I need to be concerned at some point in the future.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have it too, only on a cold start, and it only lasts for the first acceleration really. If I stop right after the first one and start again it will do it, but normally just the first one. It jerks and stuff, then finally starts to go smoothly.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Hey guys, we need to know how many people are having this problem and on which Avengers. If there is a big enough problem we might be able to get Chrysler to do a recall.
Chrysler already knows about the problem and is working on it. If it is not a major life threating danger that can cause a death while driving, than it will only show up as a TSB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This has been going on since I purchased the vehicle with 9 miles. It was not as bad when I first got it but the temp was warmer. The colder it got the worse the problem got. I now have about 5500 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
when its cold outside my avenger makes a weird sound.. almost like if it had no oil at all.. my dad owns mechanical garages and he says its normal when cold for it to sound different but.. how dfifferent is safe for my engine?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
You will notice some lifter noise or valve noise untill the oil has reach them to lube them. On the older ones you would also hear the cam chain ajuster tapping untill the oil lubed it. During winter the oil is not as free flowing as in the summer. That is why it is good to let the car warm up before taking off. So yes, your dad is correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will notice some lifter noise or valve noise untill the oil has reach them to lube them. On the older ones you would also hear the cam chain ajuster tapping untill the oil lubed it. During winter the oil is not as free flowing as in the summer. That is why it is good to let the car warm up before taking off. So yes, your dad is correct.

i have the same problem ... just make sure your not in a rush the car becomes a slug and wont move to quick give or take 2-4 mins and its ok

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.