Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the formz and hoping to get some help with this. My roommate has an 09 Avenger SXT with the 4 banger in it. The other day he comes home and turns off his car. Goes back out and all of a sudden it won’t start. It has the ETC light flashing, P2122, P0369, P0355, P0642, and P0522 codes. So far we swapped the battery, throttle body, and throttle pedal. I checked the harness that goes into the throttle body and I didn’t see any damage or corrosion. I’ve been working on this for 3 days now. Halp!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Wow, those codes are all over the place. Check all ground connections under the hood and pull the TIPM and check all connections on the bottom of the unit. This is a common problem area for corrosion especially with an older Avenger.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Unless you did it when you changed the battery, pull the battery out and clean all cable connections to bare metal and coat with dielectric grease. I don't know why Ma couldn't have made a one piece cable here to go to the communing(jumping) posts but there are multiple points that can degrade in this area. also go all connections at the communing posts and coat with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. Codes that are all over the place are usually cause by insufficient voltage in the system. These cars are very voltage conscious and have a very narrow window of being acceptable. Good luck. Also put the new battery on a charger for a while as it is not known how long the battery sat before sale and it could be low in its charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Intrepid, what is the TIPM? And do you a list of where the grounds are? I’m with you, I think that this is more of an electrical problem then a part problem.
@namretsud , the battery clamps were extremely corroded. I replaced the clamps... well, I replaced one.... I didn’t notice that the package of clamps was missing one... and I cleaned and scrubbed just about any other electrical Component around the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured out what the tipm is and check that out throughly. Didn’t see anything of concern there. I checked the grounds, I replaced the other battery clamp. Still no start. Is it possible a bad throttle body, maybe it needs a new starter?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
When you say it won't start, is it turning over at all? Also confirm that the connections and wires are good at the throttle body and the other parts that you replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Intrepid correct. It’ll crank but it won’t start. I checked the body connecters and wires for damage/corrosion on throttle body, TIPM, throttle sensor and just about everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Just for the heck of it, as you already did a good amount of electrical checks...Are you sure it has GAS and try pulling and checking the plugs(probably original) From there I personally would try a new crank position sensor, they're not costly compared to an ECM. They do strange things and not always throw a specific code.
An easy way to see if you have spark when cranking is to spray a shot of starting fluid into the intake and see if it will fire off on that till the spray shot is burned up. If it does fire on that, then good chance the fuel pump may be bad. Many codes can crop up when running with a poor fuel flow for the motor to run on.
LAST thought....Did your room mate JUST get fuel before this happened? good chance he got a bad tank of gas.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@5rebel9 The fuel gauge is reading at about 1/3rd left in the tank. The fuel pump was my initial thought but would that throw the ETC light? And also, wouldn’t that cause a rough idle?i can try swapping out the crank sensor, before I do, is there a way to test that? We’ve already thrown hundreds of dollars on it at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Maybe a step back is in order. Back to basics. What was the maint history BEFORE the car came to the current situation? Was is running poorly before? And did you ever finish replacing the other battery terminal that you stated that it could use but didn't? These cars NEED proper grounds as well as positive voltage or things will be "screwy".
Have you checked or tried ANY of the things I suggested? If you You could report back of the use of starting fluid results, that could rule out crank sensor if the engine fires on that(but won't stay running).
It COULD have a bad throttle body, the Early and even later 2.4's were known for them to go bad.
Throwing parts and trying things without the diagnostics of code investigation(yes they are found many places on the "net") as to what to check for each code.
You are bringing this forum into the middle of a problem with little background or even how many miles are on this car. I'm sorry but we are not mind readers or have special vision to see what things look like under the hood. BUT yes we still try and help those that work along with us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@5rebel9 The car was running just fine before hand with out any check engine codes. No rough idiling, fuel consumption seemed decent. I just got home so I haven’t envelope started to tinker with it yet. And yes, the other battery terminal was replaced. I think it’s pushing 170,000 miles?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts