Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2014 Avenger with the 4 cylinder. In the last week or two, when I get on it some, like leaving the ramp to get on the freeway, it will stumble after it shifts ( almost like you turn the key off and back on very quickly). Then it runs OK after that. But today, after it did that one time, the ETC light came on. We stopped to get groceries, and when we got back on the road again, the light was off again. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
How many miles are on your 2014 ? And what tune up maint has been done, so we don't offer things that have already been done.Spark plugs, PCV valve and such?
I will suggest that the throttle body inside bore and throttle plate be checked and cleaned as they collect a lot of oil vapor "gunk" from the PCV system and being an electrically plastic gear driven throttle that that "gunk" over time will wear those gears out. This will cause actions you describe and is a common 2.4 motor "quirk". If cleaning it doesn't help it usually means it's time to replace the throttle body.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles are on your 2014 ? And what tune up maint has been done, so we don't offer things that have already been done.Spark plugs, PCV valve and such?
I will suggest that the throttle body inside bore and throttle plate be checked and cleaned as they collect a lot of oil vapor "gunk" from the PCV system and being an electrically plastic gear driven throttle that that "gunk" over time will wear those gears out. This will cause actions you describe and is a common 2.4 motor "quirk". If cleaning it doesn't help it usually means it's time to replace the throttle body.
Oh yeah, sorry. I replaced the spark plugs around 50,ooo miles. It's got about 62,ooo on it now. Haven't replaced the PCV valve. Is that cleaning job a big deal?

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
It's not too bad a job to unbolt the throttle body from the intake manifold and there are plenty of you tube videos that show how to do that (the 2.4 motor is the same in many different makes and models ,Journey, 200, jeeps,etc). Also check the tube from the PCV valve to the manifold for integrity, oil fumes eventually degrade the plastic and rubber connectors(cause for vacuum leaks).
Good Luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not too bad a job to unbolt the throttle body from the intake manifold and there are plenty of you tube videos that show how to do that (the 2.4 motor is the same in many different makes and models ,Journey, 200, jeeps,etc). Also check the tube from the PCV valve to the manifold for integrity, oil fumes eventually degrade the plastic and rubber connectors(cause for vacuum leaks).
Good Luck and keep us posted. :)
Thanks much! Pending the weather, I'll try and get on this, this week. Much appreciate the help and advice!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much! Pending the weather, I'll try and get on this, this week. Much appreciate the help and advice!
OK...I took the throttle body off and cleaned it real good with the CRC cleaner, and also put on a new gasket. Put it all back together, and now it starts and revs up to about 1500 rpm. After a minute, it dropped back to around 1000. When I pulled out onto the street and accelerated, it bucked 5 or 6 times, the check engine light and traction control light came on, and the electronic throttle control light started flashing. It had very little pickup. When I accelerate from a stop, it still bucks several times, before it moves out, and still has very poor acceleration. Help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there some reflashing or restarting the computer, after the disconnecting of the throttle body connector?

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
No you shouldn't have to re-flash. Try doing a throttle recalibration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!!!!! I did the throttle recalibration, and it runs GREAT! No warning lights! No stumbling or bucking! Good performance! Very happy with the results! Thanks very much to any and all of you who helped me get through this crazy issue!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You're very welcome, glad to hear you got it sorted:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts