ETC light - Electronic Throttle Control

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussion' started by Zeevert, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 579185

579185 New Member

So the dealership has had my car for about a week now trying to figure out the cause of the problem and they are narrowing it down to a map sensor which I've already replaced and the power control module but they're not sure... how am I supposed to just fork out all this money to pay for a repair that might not fix the problem

2. Zeevert

Zeevert Member

I'm glad it worked for you.

3. Rare

Rare New Member

Hi, I have read all 11 pages of the forum and I'm still confused on which way to go. I have a 2014 Dodge avenger 2.4 4cyl and I'm having similar problems. While driving my car seems to run fine.. but the moment I'm at a stand still the etc light comes on as well as the check engine light and my car hesitates to drive and it does that until I reach over 30 mph then drives fine until I stop... If I turn the car off and back on the etc light goes away but the check engine light stays on until I'm at a stand still again then the problem recycles... I did take it to auto zone and got the code read. I forgot the exact code number but do remember the guy saying it had something to do with my etc... I wanna purchase the etc and replace it but have mixed reviews based off the experiences here in this forum... So confused.. car has a little over 80000 miles and this is my first major problem. Thoughts? Last post was in may so I hope I get a response thanks

4. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Well this problem for the 2.4 is turning into a NON plug and play issue. It takes DIAGNOSING and INSPECTING a number of intake areas BEFORE just throwing in a costly part. There are at least 4 different parts/causes that can give you the symptoms you describe. You are best FINDING the code(s) that you got read and posting them here. Things don't sound too bad YET as you have not said that it goes into the "limp in" mode of not being able to go over 35 mph.
    Have you ever taken the throttle body off and cleaned it(carefully) as the throttle plate is known to get dirty(oil/carbon buildup) that can cause idle control symptoms.
    EDIT: Also I seem to remember there was a thread of a TSB for late 2.4's of a ECM flash for trouble similar to your description. That is a DEALER done thing.

5. Rare

Rare New Member

I have not taken the throttle control off and cleaned it... Will do so tomorrow evening... Also will be visiting auto zone to get it checked out again so I can post the code here in this forum... Will keep you updated... Thanks so much for your input... I just hope I can get this rectified without it turning into a situation in which it seems to be damaged beyond repair

6. Rare

Rare New Member

I did the code dance and it comes back as p2173... Omw to auto zone now to see if they tell me different

7. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, the key dance. Have seen a number of threads/posts of the later year 2.4's having intake manifold gasket leak to the cylinder head. Keep us posted!

8. Rare

Rare New Member

Same code came back... PCv valve guy says it's a vacuum leak. Can that cause the ect light to cine on and cause the car to stall....new to Texas I dont kno any mechanics and Dodge is tryna knock me over the head smh thoughts comments let me kno thanks

9. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Get a spray can of carb cleaner, with short shots, spray around any vacuum lines, with the car running and time between to be able to tell if rpms change before moving to another spot,once you do that and don't notice any changes, do the same around the intake manifold to cylinder head area. If you determine a noticeable rpm change, you have found the leak. At your mileage, it would not hurt to replace the PCV valve, and they are not very expensive.

10. Rare

Rare New Member

OK will do... Quick question... If the etc light was off and only the check engine light was on when the code was being read... Will the check engine light still be able to pick up if there was any issues with the etc... The icon went off seconds before I pulled into auto zone but check engine light stayed on when the clerk read the codes

11. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    For the code you have, it will "mess" with the ETC light. Does not necessarily mean that the throttle body is bad. find the cause of the trouble code which indicates a vacuum leak and get that "squared away , then see if that takes care of the rest of the indicator lights!

12. Rare

Rare New Member

Thank you soo much

13. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Keep us informed!

14. andrewober

andrewober New Member

Hi all!

I have a 2011 Dodge Avenger (Express, 4 cyl, 45k miles) that just recently started going into limp mode and shaking pretty bad. Its getting worse, as when I first noticed it, I was able to drive it without it happening again for a couple weeks, now I'm at the point I won't drive it anymore.

As discussed in this thread previously, I ordered a new Throttle Body and will try that first.

While driving the car today, it would go into limp mode with a flashing red lightning bolt icon. Sometimes when giving it gas, the car would not go at all, (the red lightning icon would stay solid), and sometimes, the light would just go away and drive like normal. Pulling over to restart the car would work fine for a minute or so before it begins again.

Battery was replaced about 6 months ago, I have not tried disconnecting it yet. I tried the 'key dance', and it just returned a bunch of dashes.

just wondering if anyone can add anything to this? Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Before spending big bucks on throwing in parts, get a GOOD diagnostic done FIRST, IF the Check Engine Light has ever come on there will be codes stored in the computer, some of which the "key dance" will NOT display.

16. andrewober

andrewober New Member

I replaced the throttle body today, to no avail. Same issues. However, it is now throwing the following codes doing the key dance (And what a quick google search of each mentions):

P2173
    Engine Overheating
    Vacuum Leaks (likely on Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep brand vehicles)
    Manifold Absolute Pressure Malfunction
    Abnormal System Voltages

P2072 - Ice/Oil (It's 10-20 degrees F out right now). *This is the only code its ever thrown before replacing the throttle body*

P2118
    Throttle actuator control motor failure
    Failed pedal position sensor
    Throttle position sensor faulty
    Open or short in the actuator circuit
    Poor electrical connection

P2110
    Engine Overheating
    Coolant Leaks
    EGR Valve Malfunction
    Mass Air Flow Sensor Malfunction
    Drive Axle Modifications
    ABS, Traction Control or Stability Control Failures
    Automatic Transmission Problems
    Abnormal System Voltages

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  17. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    How long did you run the car after putting in the throttle body? Try a tipm reset by disconnecting the Neg cable at the jumper post for 20 minutes. Report back with findings if it immediately throws the CEL and what code(s), or after a drive cycle if all seems better for a test run.

18. andrewober

andrewober New Member

I disconnected the negative at the jumper post before installing new throttle body. (took me over an hour) Reconnected it, it ran fine for 5 minutes before having the same symptoms.

19. 5rebel9

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you checked the basics like coolant levels, does it actually overheat? It sounds to me like there may be a ground cable problem here, 6 mo. old battery and have heard many report that and then find a loose cable connection at the battery. Something does not sound right with posted mileage to have this much trouble, can you give some history of the car and general area you are located? Have there been any weather related happenings the car has gone thru(like a flood)?