Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 08 SXT 2.7L over the weekend....I love this car for the price and just had a question about a badge on my trunk that reads Ethanol87... I didnt see it at the dealer and am just wondering if this means I can use Ethinal in this vehicle??

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Just picked up my 08 SXT 2.7L over the weekend....I love this car for the price and just had a question about a badge on my trunk that reads Ethanol87... I didnt see it at the dealer and am just wondering if this means I can use Ethinal in this vehicle??
Yup it's actually E-85 but close enough :) The 2.7L is the only flex-fuel avenger meaning it can use unleaded or ethanol gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a full tank I have to burn first then I will try...I dont care much for saving fuel costs... and Im a power junky, so prob be gasoline for this guy...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Doesn't it(ethonal) get less MPG also. Therefore deleting any benefits when it comes to cost?? Basically it is just better for the earth, right?

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
You should not intermix the two types of fuel.
E85 is a mix of the two. Up to 85% Ethanol and 15% Gasoline.
FlexFuel or E85 vehicles are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline and ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume.
So mixing half a tank of straight gas with half a tank of E85 is just an Ethanol mix with a lower percentage of Ethanol. And that's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have used 12 tanks of E-85 so far since I bought the Avenger. My mileage ranges from 19-22MPG the fuel cost me locally $2.57 and gas is currently $3.10 so it's not a bad tradeoff and it has a sweet odor when it burns. The E-85 minimum ethanol content varies based on season and location, winter is 70% spring & fall is 74% and summer is 79%. You will GAIN 3%-5% HP, Ford claims 5% over gasoline.

The 2.7L sales code EER is a flex fuel engine meaning you can use a fuel containing anywhere from 0% to 85% ethanol content. The ECM will advance ignition timing and increase the fuel injector pulse band width the higher the content of ethanol based on various sensors, the octane rating is 105 so it can handle timing. You will burn more fuel because the stoichiometric A/F for ethanol is 9:1 where gas is 14.7:1.

I feel good using E-85 because at least I'm putting money into farmers pockets instead of a hostile oil cartel. In the not so distant future ethanol will be made from old tires, agricutural waste and switchgrass instead of just corn.

·
Registered
180 Posts
E-85 is renewable, good for the earth, good for the economy, good for farmers, good for hippies who hug trees and eat granola, and is more corrosive than regular gas. The only difference I know of between an E85 avenger and a normal one is a heftier rubber used for the fuel system. Someone correct me if I am wrong. E85 is not good for the American dream, people who like to drive cars, and anyone who loves freedom. If you prefer E85 you are probably a terrorist. (jk)

·
Registered
701 Posts
i remember reading on the internet some where that if u turbo a flexfuel engine that it will b more eficient then turboing a regular 2.7 or something like that but that was last year when i read it so i can't remember the site

·
Registered
920 Posts
I found this fuel comparison that is in the E85 fuel guide on the link that dodgeavenger4life is referring to.

Attachments

Reactions: Quiet Lunatic

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
E85 is a mix of the two. Up to 85% Ethanol and 15% Gasoline.
FlexFuel or E85 vehicles are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline and ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume.
So mixing half a tank of straight gas with half a tank of E85 is just an Ethanol mix with a lower percentage of Ethanol. And that's perfectly fine.
You are correct. I must have that part of the owner's manual. Below is the part I remembered and was regarding possible driveability issues.

For best results, a refueling pattern that alternates between
E-85 and unleaded gasoline should be avoided.
When you do switch fuels, it is recommended that:
² you do not switch when the fuel gauge indicates less
than 1⁄4 full
² you do not add less than 5 gallons when refueling
² you operate the vehicle immediately after refueling for
a period of at least 5 minutes
Observing these precautions will avoid possible hard
starting and/or significant deterioration in drivability
during warm up.
NOTE: When the ambient temperature is above 90° F
(32° C), you may experience hard starting and rough idle
following start up even if the above recommendations are
followed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For best results, a refueling pattern that alternates between
E-85 and unleaded gasoline should be avoided.
When you do switch fuels, it is recommended that:
² you do not switch when the fuel gauge indicates less
than 1⁄4 full
² you do not add less than 5 gallons when refueling
² you operate the vehicle immediately after refueling for
a period of at least 5 minutes
Observing these precautions will avoid possible hard
starting and/or significant deterioration in drivability
during warm up.
NOTE: When the ambient temperature is above 90° F
(32° C), you may experience hard starting and rough idle
following start up even if the above recommendations are
followed.[/quote]
:box:
I read that also in the manual. We do switch back-and-forth at times, especially when travelling. We have yet to experience any problems.

We lose 2 to 3 mpg in the city and 3 to 4 mpg on the highway. I figure the break-even cost factor to be 30 cents a gallon.

:Racing:

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Welcome aboard Ernie!

Had to do a flex fuel switch this morning. There wasn't a E-85 stations nearby and the tank was empty, it took 14 gallons of gas and drove just fine. I have also done the reverse of going from 3 gallons of gas to 13 gallons of E-85 and it works perfectly; Mopar seems to have a good fuel management system. I have also been using E-85 during really cold periods around 0 degrees and it starts and runs fine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts