Dodge Avenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
E-85 is E-70?

I heard from a source, which I have been unable to verify, but the E-85 pumps in the midwest during the winter season are 70% ethanol and 30% gasoline. This is suppose to help starting problems when it is very cold.

Also today (Saturday) on WGN Radio, farm program, they were interviewing the former President of the Wisconsin Farmers Ass'n, who is presently on the board of the National Farmers Ass'n. He stated: (1) last year was a record harvest for corn in the U.S.; (2) the cost of corn in a box of Corn Flakes is 10 cents, where the cost of corn in a Big-Mack is 18 cents; (3) the U.S. still has an abundance of farm land not being used - to make Mr. Gorr happy; and (4) in his town in central Wisconsin there is an ethanol refinery and E-85 is selling to $2.25 a gallon!

It is interesting to hear other points-of-view on ethanol!:smileup:

:Racing:

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I think E85 is a great way to lower our reliance on oil. If everyone in the US used it, the demand for oil would be far less.
But with that said, E85 won't save you money at the pump. Sure it coss less, but you have to stop at the pump more frequently. And in the end, you pay a little more than you would with straight gasoline.

For anyone interested in it, wikipedia has all the facts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ernie,
During the winter E85 has a minimum of 70% ethanol, spring and fall is 74% and summer has a minimum of 79%. I have a chart that shows by rgion and month the minimum % of ethanol in E85. Yesterday I bought a few gallons of E85 for $2.50 and regular at the same station going for $3.07. My biggest complaint is lack of stations that sell E85, you really have to go out of your way to find it.

Reactions: Doch

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
^Unless you happen to drive by one every day. lol... I drive by the one in Union on my way to and from work every day. Maybe you should move closer to a E85 Station... that will solve all of your problems... ;) I don't even have the 3.7l, so I can't even stop at that station anyways :(.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a station the sell it that is 3 miles away but the next one is 12 miles away. Our gov. in Missouri has a initiative to help get more gas stations to offer E85, who knows how that will play out though. Since crude oil is going up like a Saturn V rocket maybe it will gain traction. One thing you can count on is that gas is going to be sky high come April-May time frame.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
180 Posts
The gas prices are just going to keep going up. They are trying to force us to get small one seater cars that are shaped like paper airplanes. It's not right I tell you.

·
Registered
701 Posts
what one seat cars out there look like paper airplanes??? u mean go kart?? those are street legal now?? sweet lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
One BIG problem with ethanol that we're starting to see is that farmers are planting corn to be made into ethanol (not a bad decision, necessarily, as it pays more) and what happens then is that the cost of food goes up because there is less of it available, since the farmers are planting ethanol crops, rather than food crops. It's like in Robert Heinlein's book, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" - Ther Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (TANSTAAFL). You always have to give up something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haz a question.

I have the 2.7l engine but there is no flex fuel tag nor fuel door indicating it is flex fuel. When I bought it they said it was flex fuel but... am not sure. Were all 2008 2.7l avengers flex fuel? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
285 Posts
ethanol sucks. its burns faster than regular gas and also causes more carbon to build up in your engine. I always fill up at a gas station near my job that still sells ethanol free gas. and it cost the same as the 10% ethanol gas and I get way better mileage between fill ups.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know this thread is quite vintage but I am curious if other have noticed a increase in performance and engine response.
My 2011 3.6 Pentastar Avenger really seems to like the E85...
Esp when when starting off from stops and when during the 1st 5- minutes after starting to drive.
Maybe something to do with the octane level
Here's an article from Hotrod Magazine that even though it's a bit vintage, is very well worth the read IMO :

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0801-e85-ethanol-alternative-fuel/

I sure wish Our closest E85 station was closer than 30 miles away!
( we're in NE PA, right where PA,NJ,and NY come together )
The 3.6 Pentastar LOVES the E85!!
Now just to have a source closer than 30× miles!
Doc

·
Registered
124 Posts
ethanol sucks. its burns faster than regular gas and also causes more carbon to build up in your engine. I always fill up at a gas station near my job that still sells ethanol free gas. and it cost the same as the 10% ethanol gas and I get way better mileage between fill ups.
HI,
Do You remember where You found the info RE: Carbon build-up being worse with E-85?
Thanks,
Doc

·
Registered
124 Posts
My car responds better with a higher octane level fuel.
I agree...Our 2011 Heat 3.6 Does run better ( IMO) with higher octane fuel...I just have a hard time paying the 30-60 cents per gal extra cost the gas stations want for Super...
Even getting Our fuel just across the border in NJ, the extra cost for Super really bites!!
Whenever I am close to a station that sell E-85, I fill up with it and the Pentastar just loves it!
Unfortunately the closet E-85 source is almost 35 miles away.
Doc

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't understand how someone can state there carbon buildup in there engine is related to the E85 fuel. I've been running E85 (actual 80%) for the past few months and the valves, pistons, and plugs are clean. I've actually been retuning my E85 map and im at the point where city driving im getting around 19mpg Vs 16mpg on 93....
Of course the right foot has a lot to do with fuel economy. But I'm also running an E85 tune at 7300rpm......
I did notice one MAJOR issue with tuning for E85, the pcm recalibrates it self after each tune update and if you have E85 in the tank already, the pcm thinks you have regular gas. So the E85 maps are actually getting used as the standard gas maps. So in order for the pcm to recognize actual Non-E85 fuel, you have to fill up using at least 5 gallons of regular gas before refreshing or retuning the pcm so it recognizes regular gas Vs E85. Apparently the pcm uses an algorithm to calculate ethanol content and it needs a base reading from regular gas to calculate this.
This really sucks as the past few weeks ive been tuning based on E85 and the pcm's output states 0% ethanol.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
I don't understand how someone can state there carbon buildup in there engine is related to the E85 fuel. I've been running E85 (actual 80%) for the past few months and the valves, pistons, and plugs are clean. I've actually been retuning my E85 map and im at the point where city driving im getting around 19mpg Vs 16mpg on 93....
Of course the right foot has a lot to do with fuel economy. But I'm also running an E85 tune at 7300rpm......
I did notice one MAJOR issue with tuning for E85, the pcm recalibrates it self after each tune update and if you have E85 in the tank already, the pcm thinks you have regular gas. So the E85 maps are actually getting used as the standard gas maps. So in order for the pcm to recognize actual Non-E85 fuel, you have to fill up using at least 5 gallons of regular gas before refreshing or retuning the pcm so it recognizes regular gas Vs E85. Apparently the pcm uses an algorithm to calculate ethanol content and it needs a base reading from regular gas to calculate this.
This really sucks as the past few weeks ive been tuning based on E85 and the pcm's output states 0% ethanol.

Good to hear from you again, it's been a LONG TIME! :) :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I still don’t get that either, the exhaust on my 200 is still clean enough to see metal and where the tubing was rolled and welded at the tailpipes vs when I’ve run gas, mostly during the winter, and the tips would turn black from soot.
Interesting issue on the tuning for E85 though, is there a way to install an Ethanol Sensor on our cars?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts