Dodge Avenger Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm still getting soot on my tailpipes, but my valves look like new. The latest thing I'm doing is trying to get my ethanol content of my fuel to read lower than 5%. This way I can try to reset the composition readings of the pcm and try to retune the motor. I come to find out that while I'm tuning my engine for E85, it seems the pcm recalibrates and if I have E85 in the tank, it thinks there is no ethanol and then recalibrate the tune based on this. So If I tune for E85 and flash the pcm, the pcm recalibrate and thinks the fuel currently in the tank is Non-E85 and bases it's tune on that. So I've been running in circles trying to tune my engine one E85. Once I tune the engine, it resets the alcohol content...So if I have 80% alcohol in the fuel, the pcm thinks its 0% and it will not tune properly as a flex fuel vehicle.
Chrysler's flex fuel vehicles use a math equation to figure out ethanol content and dont have an actual ethanol sensor. I'm looking into seeing if a sensor can actually be installed to help tune the pcm. I currently have an ethanol content sensor but the pcm does not read it.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 S
21 Posts
I'm still getting soot on my tailpipes, but my valves look like new. The latest thing I'm doing is trying to get my ethanol content of my fuel to read lower than 5%. This way I can try to reset the composition readings of the pcm and try to retune the motor. I come to find out that while I'm tuning my engine for E85, it seems the pcm recalibrates and if I have E85 in the tank, it thinks there is no ethanol and then recalibrate the tune based on this. So If I tune for E85 and flash the pcm, the pcm recalibrate and thinks the fuel currently in the tank is Non-E85 and bases it's tune on that. So I've been running in circles trying to tune my engine one E85. Once I tune the engine, it resets the alcohol content...So if I have 80% alcohol in the fuel, the pcm thinks its 0% and it will not tune properly as a flex fuel vehicle.
Chrysler's flex fuel vehicles use a math equation to figure out ethanol content and dont have an actual ethanol sensor. I'm looking into seeing if a sensor can actually be installed to help tune the pcm. I currently have an ethanol content sensor but the pcm does not read it.
How things are going now?

·
Registered
239 Posts
How things are going now?
I'm still chasing my tail about the E85 tuning. I've been currently running E50 for the past few months because of gas prices and I've basically been working on my tune based on that. The PCM thinks I'm running 85% ethanol currently even though I have tested true E50 in the tank. So for now I said screw it, and I moved on to trying to figure out why my TQ is capped at 281ft/lbs and then I'll figure out the fuel tuning issue later. SOFTWARE based, HPtuners logs have me at 350hp and 281ft/lbs of TQ. But this is software based and not dyno based. I'm also working on solving an issue with my airflow as since I have the HEMI 80mm opening at 85% my intake airflow is fluttering from 215g/s to 300g/s so I cant get good numbers because of that also.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 S
21 Posts
I'm still chasing my tail about the E85 tuning. I've been currently running E50 for the past few months because of gas prices and I've basically been working on my tune based on that. The PCM thinks I'm running 85% ethanol currently even though I have tested true E50 in the tank. So for now I said screw it, and I moved on to trying to figure out why my TQ is capped at 281ft/lbs and then I'll figure out the fuel tuning issue later. SOFTWARE based, HPtuners logs have me at 350hp and 281ft/lbs of TQ. But this is software based and not dyno based. I'm also working on solving an issue with my airflow as since I have the HEMI 80mm opening at 85% my intake airflow is fluttering from 215g/s to 300g/s so I cant get good numbers because of that also.
While running, E50 did you do any dyno or track/ quarter mile run so you can be sure that the computer Indeed is not taking it. Because even if the computer is stating that the mix is E85 maybe the fuel ajustement is base on E50..? I really like your "project". Transmission might not handle more torque... I mean the transmission is not the best. So maybe that the reason of the 281 capped..

·
Registered
239 Posts
The "flex fuel" pcm adjust fuel based on stoich and demanded A/F's. When it see's it needs to add more fuel to meet the "Stoich/Demanded" fuel ratio's it calculates the alcohol content based on several equations. So when I'm running E50 and the pcm thinks I have E85, the pcm is pulling fuel to meet the desired A/F's and demanded fuel to to try to meet the desired A/F's. So if it needs to add more fuel it thinks the alcohol content is higher. It's a matter of tuning the fueling to get it close to the actual tested alcohol content that's actually in the car. I have an alcohol sensor installed with a gauge so I can see true alcohol content Vs what the pcm see's.
The mistake I'm doing, I should be running regular pump gas for base tuning and not E85/E50. Because once I add regular pump gas the pcm is going to end up pulling tons of fuel to meet the desired A/F's. But at $3.29gal for E50 currently and $4.15gal for 93, the cost of gas has me tuning and playing around more with E85/E50 because of it being almost $1 cheaper per gallon.
My transmission, I actually contacted the manufacturer of my temp gauge as the needle never moves. Come to find out the 6speed has an internal bypass valve that prevents trans fluid from circulation through the coolers unless it's needed. So far this past winter with temps at 35deg and below my transmission never hit the 80+ deg temp point where the valve would open and circulate through the coolers. I've always had that thought that if the transmission stayed cool under heavy load that it could handle more TQ. Last summer with 80-100deg temps my transmission hit around 140-150deg temps and never really got hotter than that. Hence why I think my transmission is still in one piece....lol :Note I have an auxiliary trans cooler on my car to help with keeping the trans fluid cooler and I think I went overboard as it's an 11" cooler.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 S
21 Posts
The "flex fuel" pcm adjust fuel based on stoich and demanded A/F's. When it see's it needs to add more fuel to meet the "Stoich/Demanded" fuel ratio's it calculates the alcohol content based on several equations. So when I'm running E50 and the pcm thinks I have E85, the pcm is pulling fuel to meet the desired A/F's and demanded fuel to to try to meet the desired A/F's. So if it needs to add more fuel it thinks the alcohol content is higher. It's a matter of tuning the fueling to get it close to the actual tested alcohol content that's actually in the car. I have an alcohol sensor installed with a gauge so I can see true alcohol content Vs what the pcm see's.
The mistake I'm doing, I should be running regular pump gas for base tuning and not E85/E50. Because once I add regular pump gas the pcm is going to end up pulling tons of fuel to meet the desired A/F's. But at $3.29gal for E50 currently and $4.15gal for 93, the cost of gas has me tuning and playing around more with E85/E50 because of it being almost $1 cheaper per gallon.
My transmission, I actually contacted the manufacturer of my temp gauge as the needle never moves. Come to find out the 6speed has an internal bypass valve that prevents trans fluid from circulation through the coolers unless it's needed. So far this past winter with temps at 35deg and below my transmission never hit the 80+ deg temp point where the valve would open and circulate through the coolers. I've always had that thought that if the transmission stayed cool under heavy load that it could handle more TQ. Last summer with 80-100deg temps my transmission hit around 140-150deg temps and never really got hotter than that. Hence why I think my transmission is still in one piece....lol :Note I have an auxiliary trans cooler on my car to help with keeping the trans fluid cooler and I think I went overboard as it's an 11" cooler.
Well i see that you know your subject! That really Nice to see someone playing(customing) the pentastar like that. I was planning to Do the same. But my car's Wreck. Keep posting update. I like what youre doing

·
Registered
239 Posts
Since my last post I finally have my pcm recognizing 56% alcohol when my gauge reads 52%. This is close enough for me so I've been making tuning adjustments using that. Since E85/E50 is still $3.29 a gallon and premium is hovering around $5 gal, I'm just sticking with my butt dyno tuning for now. According to HPtuners software I'm hitting around 328hp/287ftlbs and since I have a steady alcohol reading now and my A/f's are good, I'm going to play more with cam timing :)
(as of 4-18-22, HPT software says 351hp/291ftlbs I just picked up Dragy to do some road testing)

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 S
21 Posts
Since my last post I finally have my pcm recognizing 56% alcohol when my gauge reads 52%. This is close enough for me so I've been making tuning adjustments using that. Since E85/E50 is still $3.29 a gallon and premium is hovering around $5 gal, I'm just sticking with my butt dyno tuning for now. According to HPtuners software I'm hitting around 328hp/287ftlbs and since I have a steady alcohol reading now and my A/f's are good, I'm going to play more with cam timing :)
(as of 4-18-22, HPT software says 351hp/291ftlbs I just picked up Dragy to do some road testing)
Any update or results with dragy?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any update or results with dragy?
Every time I try to do a run there's too much traffic or the police are out. The past month where I live there have been 3 hit and run incidents where the people have been killed and reports are 2 cars racing hit a pedestrian crossing the street. The police cant charge anyone with anything as there is no physical proof of who did the hit and runs, the police only have witnesses and apparently that's not good enough. So the police presence in my area has been amped up big time with city/county/state police. So My only option is to go to my local thruway where there is a high speed limit but I cant just stop on the thruway to do a 0-60 or 1/8th mile run because of traffic.
I've got Draggy in my car, I'm just trying to find a good time to use it.......
I also tried it once and after the fact I was told after doing a run I would have to hit "reset" and then it would save the logged run? The one time I had a chance to use it, it just continued to record so I couldn't get an actual report.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 200 S
21 Posts
Every time I try to do a run there's too much traffic or the police are out. The past month where I live there have been 3 hit and run incidents where the people have been killed and reports are 2 cars racing hit a pedestrian crossing the street. The police cant charge anyone with anything as there is no physical proof of who did the hit and runs, the police only have witnesses and apparently that's not good enough. So the police presence in my area has been amped up big time with city/county/state police. So My only option is to go to my local thruway where there is a high speed limit but I cant just stop on the thruway to do a 0-60 or 1/8th mile run because of traffic.
I've got Draggy in my car, I'm just trying to find a good time to use it.......
I also tried it once and after the fact I was told after doing a run I would have to hit "reset" and then it would save the logged run? The one time I had a chance to use it, it just continued to record so I couldn't get an actual report.
I'll wait for your results!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Has anyone used "Dragy"? I want to make sure I have it ready before I make another attempt to use it and I fail using it creating tons of attention to my car. I've got a Moto G Pure in my car linked to the "Dragy" so its android based. I'm an Apple user so hopefully I have it set up right. When I open the "Dragy" app it connects to the GPS unit. Once it's finally connected on the phones main screen I have a "Start" option. When I click on it nothing happens....I'm assuming when it says start I just "go" and it will record....How do I stop it from recording to save results? I may be able to pull an 1/8th mile run or I may be able to do a 0-60 only depending on my Radar or traffic.
Also how do I have the run show up in a video if I record that option?
There's not much info online to help.....

41 - 52 of 52 Posts