Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive had my Avenger for 3 months now and it had the check engine light come on at 1 momth in. Its the 2011 Lux with the 3.6 and at 53700 miles. I had checked with the Key Dance and got P0456, which is a small leak in the EVAP. I took it into Hertz since i just got it, and i had him clear it to see if it would come back on. Well just this week it came back on, now with P0455 and P0456. Now my question is how much would this cost to fix it, and since im sure powertrain warranty isnt covered on the car, should i just take it into Dodge?

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
I don't know your area at all, but a reputable independent shop can "smoke test" the evap system and pinpoint the leak and advise you better than as you ask in your post. out my way, it can range from $25. to $60. to have this test done. Some places will knock off some of the labor if they find a simple to repair broken or cracked EVAP hose/connection. Keep us informed on how you get your concern taken care of.

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
I live out in the "sticks" and small independant shops are not quite so "greedy" for big money just to enter their doors.And they have to keep their reputations up because of the small town conditions to STAY IN BUSINESS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, the other night i checked the gas cap just because why not, and it wasnt even on or tightened. (i live in Oregon so we cant do our own gas.) So it was the gas attendants fault. Anyway, two days later the check engine light went away. And all is good!

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
Just had to have the daughters Kia "smoke" tested to find the EVAP leak problem her's has, $30.00 and found it up above the fuel tank where the EVAP canister is mounted for it... now I have to take out the fuel tank to pinpoint whether it is a hose or part problem to fix (dumb design for location)!

Glad yours turned out to be so minor! Yup, NO cap on would give a MAJOR leak condition!

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I have a P0456 small EVAP leak detected on my Dodge Avenger 2009 RT, which is around 102k miles.

I replaced the gas cap yesterday, but that didn't seem to fix it after driving several miles. This morning on way to work, noted faint smell of gasoline, womp womp. To date I've changed out my struts, engine mounts, control arms, ball joints and tie rods, and a wheel hub assembly. I work long and irregular hours at a hospital and live by myself, so it's really hard hard to just leave car at shop for potentially days (>_<) thus try to do stuff myself!

I was looking up the purge valve stuff, but the parts online are all listed as "may not fit." I was going to jack up the car later tomorrow and inspect all the tubing and connections, then consider replacing that part empirically (if anyone could point me in the direction of one that would fit!). But if you think it's best to take it to shop and have someone use a diagnostic tool then I'll go with that!

Anyone else notice around 100k miles that everything on the car just started breaking down? lol. :(

·
Premium Member
7,385 Posts
Well m, you seem to be having quite some problems! Just a quick thing you can check is get the front end up so you can work underneath. Then locate the EVAP cannister and it's connecting hoses. It's located on the drivers side around the subframe member, they are prone to damage from road debris and crack open.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well m, you seem to be having quite some problems! Just a quick thing you can check is get the front end up so you can work underneath. Then locate the EVAP cannister and it's connecting hoses. It's located on the drivers side around the subframe member, they are prone to damage from road debris and crack open.
Thanks!

If the EVAP cannister is damaged, where could I find a replacement part? I checked Advance Auto, which is my usual goto if not Amazon. Can I drive with this for say a week, if I had to wait for the dealer to order one?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Yes you can drive with the canister damaged. Rockauto.com has them in stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same issue in my 2010 Avenger for the longest time, it ended up being the purge valve hose rubbing up against another hose causing the hose to eventually tear open.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Military camouflage Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive wheel system

1 - 20 of 21 Posts