Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it was on the city streets, straight and flat. i put it in first (manual mode) and never touched the shifter (was holding the camera with my right hand) again, let it hit the limiter and shift on its own

i start right after the 4 second mark and hit 60 right around 11 so its somewhere between 6 and 7 seconds, cant be too sure. it would probably be faster if i could shift when i want and not on a city street with other traffic and worrying about someone pulling out in front of me, so i will do another one soon. wish this had the 0-60 timer in the EVIC like my Charger does

this is still completely stock too, exhaust mod and intake mods are top priority!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
what's the optimum shift point for us?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the power band is between 4200 and redline, mine was shifting right before 6500 which is a bit above redline, which i think is 6250 or something. im not sure so dont quote me on that

i know when in full auto and just driving normally and accelerating it will shift right around 4000-4200, so i would wait a bit more and try to shift at like 5000-5500

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i think the power band is between 4200 and redline, mine was shifting right before 6500 which is a bit above redline, which i think is 6250 or something. im not sure so dont quote me on that

i know when in full auto and just driving normally and accelerating it will shift right around 4000-4200, so i would wait a bit more and try to shift at like 5000-5500
Alright cool I'll try it out

·
Registered
643 Posts
I plan to give my car a go once it is broken in. Other than a few short romps to see what it has, I am taking it easy and breaking it in right.

My intent is to use the camera mount to show the speedo, and use my OBD software, which has a Track Timer option...I'll be sure to post whatever I get.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I did not know the manual auto shifted. If taken it pretty high and it did not shift so I backed off. Midnight...Is it a pretty hard shift at that rpm level? I think I will wait for a few more miles before I try to get that close to red line.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the manual shift mode is really smooth, there is a second where you move the shifter until it changes gear, but its not that bad, once you get used to it you will know when to do it

these autosticks also have a built in safety feature where it will shift on its own when it hits the rev limiter so in reality you can put it in first and never touch it again if you are going for a 0-60 time, it will shift on its own, but like i mentioned earlier you may not want to let it do that. you get more power earlier in the rpm range

Quickfr8 - no it isnt, its really smooth, even if you let it shift on its own at the rev limiter its still smoot

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah...Midnight. I had a BMW that was really smooth. It was awesome because the computer figured out when you were driving hard in manual and it shifted for you at the right time based on how hard you were driving it that day. I took the Avenger to about 5800 but backed off because I did not know it was going to shift. Still weary to try but know I will on my next one. I have the manual down pretty good and think around 5800 is the optimum spot our of 1st, the other come naturally.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah...Midnight. I had a BMW that was really smooth. It was awesome because the computer figured out when you were driving hard in manual and it shifted for you at the right time based on how hard you were driving it that day. I took the Avenger to about 5800 but backed off because I did not know it was going to shift. Still weary to try but know I will on my next one. I have the manual down pretty good and think around 5800 is the optimum spot our of 1st, the other come naturally.
dont worry, it will shift :)

i need to get on mine a bit more often, been doing the fuel saving thing for awhile now, its my daily driver

·
Registered
627 Posts
Midnight......Of course you were right.......Pretty nice kick out of first. I think i was wrong about 5800 rpm being the optimal shift point for time trial runs. Average MPG went from 20.9 to 20.3 real quick. I wish we had 2 things on these cars. 1) Current MPG and 2) MTE when fuel is low. Bummer they do not show that!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Midnight......Of course you were right.......Pretty nice kick out of first. I think i was wrong about 5800 rpm being the optimal shift point for time trial runs. Average MPG went from 20.9 to 20.3 real quick. I wish we had 2 things on these cars. 1) Current MPG and 2) MTE when fuel is low. Bummer they do not show that!
if you have the EVIC it will show you those things, mine has average mpg and it does show distance to empty. it does have instant mpg, but average. i reset it every time i fill up

so what was your times?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would never downshift to a lower gear if im over 4000 rpm, thats just too high. if you've ever driven a manual you will know when you get to the point where you can downshift

·
Registered
627 Posts
I go a little higher than that on the manual downshift but the trick is to pump the gas slightly to keep the RPM's close to equal on the downshift. Amy thing more than 750 rpms will put excess where on the transmission. I got it at about 5000-5500 dialed in when i need to. I have a feeling i will work it even higher when i get the new exhaust installed.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
My car seems quicker with traction control off and shifting manually. I leave it in AutoStick mode and it shifts automatically when it hits the red line. Seems more responsive and more positive shift. I haven't timed it yet to compare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts