Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: Cruise Control turning off consistently at 75mph (PCM code U1418). Not just canceling, but fully turning off. Eventually ABS light came on after 1.5 year of cruise control issue (ABS code C101F).

Fix: Wheel hub assembly replacement solved cruise control issue. Wheel speed sensor replacement solved ABS light.

Long story, short: I replaced the OEM wheel hub assembly approximately 1.5 year ago with a defective after market (Moog) hub assembly, and the mystery of the cruise control killer began.

I have searched many times for the cruise control issue on this forum and elsewhere, and talked to many mechanics with no solution found. I wanted to provide my solution on here in case anyone else runs into this problem. It is somewhat unique and it was caused by an after market hub assembly rather than my avenger, so this might not always apply.

June 2016 - Replaced right front hub assembly with Moog hub assembly (soon, maybe immediately, the cruise control started turning off at exactly 75mph) o_O

June 2017 - Replaced right front wheel speed sensor (Airtex/Wells) and right front CV axle because I was tired of having to cruise less than 75mph. This did not resolve the cruise control issue...:mad:

January 2018 (2 weeks ago) - ABS light appeared on dash (still suspecting right front)

At this point I purchased a new OBD scanner, and if you're a DIY mechanic and need a good OBD scanner check out "Bluedriver" bluetooth OBD scanner. $99 on Amazon and it scans all systems. The code scanner returned ABS code U1418 for the right front sensor, and PCM code C101F. Both of the parts I had replaced previously had a 3 year warranty and rockauto.com sent the replacements to me which I received yesterday. I replaced the right front sensor first since it's easy, cleared the codes, and went for a drive. ABS light was solved but the cruise control was still turning off at 75mph. Back to the garage, I decided to proceed with replacing the hub assembly again because that was the only other connection I could make when the issue began. Once the hub was changed, I cleared the codes, and went for another drive. :) Cruise control works at 75mph and beyond!! Happy Avenger driver again! I hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Yup, if replacing any part and a problem continues or starts up, alway start checking for a defective replacement part. I learned that with the only NON MOPAR in my stable of 4(a Kia Spectra of my daughter). chased a DTC for a full year until I replaced a part that was installed by a shop when she bought it!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Glad to hear you got everything fixed. Where did you purchase the moog hub assembly from? I purchased one from Advance and had it go bad after 1.5yrs and about 15k miles, they warrantied it for me without a problem. I don’t know if I had any cruise control problems though as I hardly ever drive highway. I feel that the quality of moog parts just isn’t there anymore. I have to replace the oem left side. I think I’m going to try a hub from Detroit axle as they offer a 10yr warranty. I think I’ll be looking into that scanner as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of the Moog hubs, first and replacement, came from Rockauto.com.
That's the first Moog part I've had a problem with, so it has me just slightly concerned.
The scanner has been a great purchase in just the 1 week I've had it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Both of the Moog hubs, first and replacement, came from Rockauto.com.
That's the first Moog part I've had a problem with, so it has me just slightly concerned.
The scanner has been a great purchase in just the 1 week I've had it.
Haven’t had an issue with the moog hub from ra that I put on the Sebring but the one on my avenger didn’t last. Between the 2 cats we’ve been through 2 sets of moog front endlinks each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts